Strength of steel pipe or tubing

Realizing this may be a bit vague, if you want to know the details, check sites for the proper information you need to answer my question.

Given the length of 20 feet, and the round pipe is 1 inch in diameter, or square tubing is 1 inch, how much weight could the end of that pipe support?

Using ancient lfiting techniques as a basis, picture a pipe, with one end mounted to a secured device, and that acts as a pivot point. Kind of like what you might see in a parking lot where the gate is a lift arm, and one end has a counter balance on it so the operator needs little force to move it. Something similar to these but manually operated.

I'm looking at possibly being able to lift 1,000 pounds.

Reply to
richard

I have an idea - you check those same sites, answer your own question, and cut out the middleman.

Rico dJour

I have an idea - you check those same sites, answer your own question, and cut out the middleman.

jloomis

You clearly haven't "checked sites for the proper information".

Rico dJour

About 20 pounds, at the very most.....

Your current expectations are unrealistic.

I would suggest you think through your "project" & define it better....especially if you're expecting free advice.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Pipe? Why steel? Consider using PVC or aluminum. Thin wall will work just find at that trivial limit of 1,000 lb.

Folks: Please do not feed the troll...

Reply to
PeterD

richard posted for all of us...

Without any liability attached I would ESTIMATE a 6" od x .75" wall A136 tube w/ ASTM std galvanizing using gussets and strengtheners as needed. Examine for deflection and cracking underneath EVERY TIME during use. Use your head. Provide drain holes.

Alternatively go to the local federal highway and procure a sign support. Stopping traffic during procurement is at your option.

I don't know where you live so I cannot account for wind load.

Wear head protection while reading. Not needed for operation.

OSHA regs required training and safety personnel in place before operation.

Check for live wires, not that you have to do anything with them.

Have cinder blocks in place for chocking in the event of emergency.

Provide a properly engineered foundation with non slip surface.

Bolts must be grade 5 minimum.

Move indigent family members to next county.

All welds must be soldered and magnafluxed.

Consult civil engineers in bars only as last resort. Big box Hardware store people know more and are willing to share their knowledge.

Drink alcoholic beverages before construction and operation to build confidence.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Ummm....no meth to extend his workday? That's an odd omission, and potentially life preserving.

Rico dJour

Rico dJour posted for all of us...

Ya got me...

*Additional instructions and cautions that MUST be followed:*

Consult with meth dealer before use to determine requirements of work flow. Rip off any cautionary or warning labels that may distract you during use a= nd=20 replace with cooking recipe for aforementioned products. Shortages are NOT= =20 tolerated. Time is of the essence!

Use open flame.

You DO NOT need breathing protection - I say again you DO NOT need breathin= g=20 protection.

Mix ammonia and chlorine bleach in enclosed space to avoid contamination. = =20 Proportions are not critical.

Locate construction and use area zoned for such; IE. nuclear power plants,= =20 correctional facilities, refinery's, chemical plants, reclamation facilitie= s,=20 water supplies, dams, police and fire stations, major highways, nosy neighb= ors,=20 people that don't agree with your social, political or religious views. (Yo= u=20 really want to show them what a fine fellow you don't you?)

DO NOT under ANY circumstances provide ANY fencing or obstruction to ingres= s.

Spread recycled oil over a sand/dirt mixture at maximum of 6 ft wide for=20 driveway use. Require heavy trucks (over 2 tons) to use V bar chains. Post= a=20 minimum speed of 45 mph on curves and 65 on straight stretches over 100 ft.

Other restrictions to follow - to be determined.

*Optional* instructions - really no need to follow...

Arrange inspections with life safety officials (or not) and invite them to = swim=20 in your lagoon, er "pool". Have cameras available to memorialize tips of t= he=20 officials.

Determine your own payment schedule of meth dealer. Since interest rates a= re=20 so low extend payments over 5 years.

Have 500 feet (min) of 1/2" diam Dollar Store tm plastic hose feeding a 1/2= =20 (max) gpm sprinkler for fire protection.

Exceptions MAY be granted on individual basis depending on monetary payment= .

--=20 Tekkie

Reply to
Tekkie®

Okee dokie. I'll be sure to do that during rush hour when traffic is at the peak.

Reply to
richard

Richard, instead of running with the ball when you don't know the rules, when you post explain what you're trying to do and ask for suggestions. Post a link to a picture of it, or whatever, to provide a little background info. You'll get better information and won't set yourself up for so much teasing.

Rico dJour

If I had a picture to post, then why would I ask the question? From what I've been reading on the websites is, they talk about various factors using trigonometry and stuff I don't understand. I thought my question was simple enough.

Given a steel pipe of one inch diameter, how much weight can a 20 foot length hold on the end before breaking?

If I had such a pipe, I would do it myself and find the answer.

Reply to
richard

I'm sorry, but I can't help you. You are asking a nonsense question as you don't remember your high school physics class.

Google levers, fulcrums, bending moment, moment of inertia and freebody diagrams. Than come back and ask a question that can actually be answered and provide dimensions, type of steel and PayPal me some money and I'll solve it for you. Thanks.

Rico dJour

*Not that simple to answer. There are many choices of steel pipe and different wall thickness and hardness. Do you mean 1" trade size or 1" actual diameter.

Breaking and bending are two different outcomes. It sound as though you are looking for something that will snap in two which would be a metal of different characteristics than most standard pipe which usually bends when overstressed.

My first thought is where will the underneath support be? One foot from the end or three feet or...?

I did a search for tensile strength of steel pipe and found this site. Give them a call and talk to one their engineers, but you had better have a specific application in mind if you want a specific answer.

John Grabowski

A nonsense question. You don't specify material, type of pipe, wall thickness or anything. A lot of 1" steel pipe 20 ft long would have trouble holding itself up, let alone a load, but without complete specifications on the pipe, there is no answer to your question. Regardless, a 1" cross section pipe won't take much of a load at all.

Reply to
PeterD