Steel vs Wood Stud for Garage

Hi;

I am interested in opinions for Steel Framing vs wood framing for building my workshop. I read that it is mainly for non load bearing walls. Is steel strong enough for the exterior walls? I may have a loft/second floor. If so, is steel ok? What are the costs between going steel and wood? I am a sheet metal man by trade, so I would have no problem building with steel. Thanks for any advice.

Pat

Reply to
komobu

rustyjames

Certainly steel *can* be strong enough. If you are talking about those light-gauge sheet metal studs I am virtually certain those are for partition walls only, not load-bearing.

Allan

Reply to
allan230

20 to 12 gauge are considered light gauge and used as structural members in a lot of commercial/industrial projects. I've read that a good percentage of houses built in Hawaii are built with them because of termites.
Reply to
rustyjames

Steel will work, can frame an entire home with steel, but it requires a learning curve and unless you have a very good reason for wanting to use steel, I would stay with wood framing. Easier, you already know how to frame with wood, less expensive, no new tools, books, etc. needed, etc.

Reply to
PPS