Steel vs Wood Stud for Garage

Hi;
I am interested in opinions for Steel Framing vs wood framing for building my workshop. I read that it is mainly for non load bearing walls. Is steel strong enough for the exterior walls? I may have a loft/second floor. If so, is steel ok? What are the costs between going steel and wood? I am a sheet metal man by trade, so I would have no problem building with steel. Thanks for any advice.
Pat
Steel prices have been high and it's somewhat more labor intensive but I think steel is the way to go, especially for a shop. There's a good book called Residential Steel Framing by Tim Wait that I found worth the money and might be helpful.
http://www.lgsea.com/index2.htm
komobu wrote:

komobu wrote:

Certainly steel *can* be strong enough. If you are talking about those light-gauge sheet metal studs I am virtually certain those are for partition walls only, not load-bearing.
Allan
snipped-for-privacy@mailinator.com wrote:

20 to 12 gauge are considered light gauge and used as structural members in a lot of commercial/industrial projects. I've read that a good percentage of houses built in Hawaii are built with them because of termites.
Steel will work, can frame an entire home with steel, but it requires a learning curve and unless you have a very good reason for wanting to use steel, I would stay with wood framing. Easier, you already know how to frame with wood, less expensive, no new tools, books, etc. needed, etc.