Steel versus wood framing

Steel framing used to be more economical than using lumber.

However, with the recent increase in steel prices, and the decline in structural lumber prices is that still true?

Reply to
build_products

On what kind of building and where?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I second Michael's questions. Steel has never been more economical than wood for residential and small commercial construction.

Reply to
Bob Morrison

Long term, its not better than wood framing regarding in-wall minor water leaks. The steel will rust, and the wood will rot. Doesn't matter the chemical protection provided to either material.

Reply to
Jonny

If I had my choice between rot and rust, I'd pick rust.

Reply to
scott21230

There is another solution. Using NUDURA Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF) to build a poured in place concrete wall. It is often quicker and cost- wise within 1% to 2% plus or minus depending on the cost of steel vs. cost of concrete. It does not rot or rust!

Reply to
abarr