Standard Shear Panels for 20" x 24' garage

I have a garage plan to provide a client, and believe that a 2' panel on either side of a 16 ' garage door is sufficient and "standard" so that I will not need engineering. I live in Calif. and I believe that fits the requirement seismically and standard construction practice. Just wondering........ I usually install 2 HD8 in each 5/8" plywood panel also. I will call the Building Dept. no problem....just wanted input. Thanks john

I was with you until I hit the "I live in Calif." part, then my eyes glazed over! I am not familiar with the CA seismic requirements and fairly happy about that. ;)
Yep, we have seimic to worry about and shear.... I believe it is a certain amount of shear ply in regards to opening. I usually draw my plans, and submit them, and if engineering is needed I get it taken care of. I was mostly trying to refresh my memory.... thanks john