Staircase Design Help Needed

I've got a room above the garage, and need to build a staircase up to a 9'2" high finished floor landing. I've got an 8" wide opening between trusses, but I need use as much of that as possible as access to a doorway and rooftop deck. So, hopefully I've got about a 50"x50" finished stair well. The ceiling of the first floor is 8', and code says I need 78" minimum head clearance above stairs. Code minimum rise is 8", and minimum trend depth is 9" (I'd prefer 10" including bullnose), which means I need 14 steps. The lower room with kitchen and bathroom areas are very small as it is, so I need as compact a staircase design as will work to satisfy code. But, I do have a 12' stretch along one wall with the stair well on one side. The main problem seems to be headroom up through the well. I've considered a spiral staircase, but they are expensive, and I really don't like the style for this house. Design ideas that aren't impossible for the do-it-yourself carpenter are gladly welcomed.
Alan wrote:

Do a Google on alternating tread stairs, the ask your building inspector if it's okay with him.
could you build the stairs outside the garage & give it an outside entrance?
No, an outside entrance isn't a convenient passage from the bathroom and kitchen to the bedroom.