Staining Wood

When preparing wood for staining does anyone know how to prevent the end of boards from absorbing too much stain and appearing very dark? I will be staining some pine boards after applying a wood conditioner to help give a uniform appearance, but the cuts ends always look too dark.

Thanks John

Reply to
John A Reichert

sanding sealer will help, may take a few coats. That's just how pine is

Reply to
longshot

Why are your ends showing?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Reply to
John A Reichert

I don't intend to miter all end cuts. So I was looking to a way to stain without the problem mentioned above.

Reply to
John A Reichert

There are sealers out there to retard the absorption of stain, but it's not going to be easy to get it just right so that your eye doesn't go right to the end cuts...

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

My painter used to use a thin shellac. Sometimes over the whole piece if the grain varied in hardness. It works.

Reply to
Glenn

Think the stain a lot with whatever they suggest you clean brushes in on the tin. Test on scrap wood. Apply several coats.

Reply to
CWatters