Spring attached to gate

My neighbour had this spring put on the back garden gate by someone, to get it to be self-closing.

There is not enough compression on it to keep it completely closed and to stop it banging when the wind picks up.

I seem to remember seeing springs like this placed at a more vertical angle, but cannot think of a logical reason as to why this might be so.

Basically it needs some more compression on it to completely hold the door fully shut, (it stays open by about 8mm ). But its surprisingly strong and I cannot compress it enough and then put the screws in, to get it to have enough compression to completely close the gate.

Also I wonder why the ends of the spring have these holes, which are only about 3 mm deep. The holes are not there to turn anything around as there are no threads on it anywhere. And the spring can rotate freely at each end.

Novice grateful for advice for a more effective solution.

Reply to
john hamilton

You are absolutely right, the spring attaches in a near vertical position with one end on the post and the other on the gate. The holes you refer to are for tensioning the spring. There should be some steel pins that push through the holes to prevent the spring unwinding again, you also use the holes for the purpose of twisting it to get that tension.. As you apparently have no pins you will find that suitably sized (and depointed) nails are quite effective.

Reply to
Tinkerer

Forget the spring (remove it and throw it away) and get a gate latch.

Reply to
mike

It seems the spring is fitted wrongly. Take a look at

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Here's a link showing a picture of how to properly install it.

Yer welcome. Once you figure it out, or have done it about forty times, they really are simple. ;-)

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Steve B

I fitted one like that - the peg that stops rotation was of too small a diameter; it was OK for a while, then there was a pingfuckit and a leaf died. A 5mm scre (I used a stainless stell one), slightly filed down to be a snug fit, is still there after a couple of years.

Reply to
PeterC

"Muddymike" wrote

Great site, Mike. Far better than the pdf that I posted. I don't know why, but I always mounted mine with the adjustment on the top. I see that they put theirs on the bottom. Don't have one handy, but maybe there's a difference if you mount it outside the door or inside. It looks like he is using a SS Bommer spring. It's been a long time since I installed one.

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Steve B

this item may be of interest at hdsupplysolutions.com: KANT-SLAM HYDRAULIC GATE OR DOOR CLSR HD Supply Part # : 905242 Brand: Kant-slam Qty. Price

1-2 $49.99 Kant-Slam=AE Hydraulic Gate Or Door Closer - Firmly Closes Gates And Doors Without Slamming - Black Low-Gloss Enamel Finish - Meets Self-Closing Swimming Pool Enclosure Requirements - Closes Gates And Doors That Weigh Up To 150 Lbs - All-Steel Construction - Easily Installed - Hydraulic Action - Self-Contained, No Strain On Hinges - Must Be Mounted On The Opening Side Of The Gate Or Door - Adjusting Screw On Top Regulates Closing Speed
  • Firmly Closes Gates And Doors Without Slamming * Self-Contained, No Strain On Hinges
Reply to
buffalobill

For some reason some makes (like this one) have very shallow holes so you can't put a pin right through. The one I had only had holes about 4mm deep. Made it rather dangerous to set.. You have to use a nail in one hole to turn it and for safety use long nose pliers to insert a short pin in another hole to stop it rotating back when you let go. The bar/pins that came with mine were useless. Too small in diameter to be a good fit in the shallow holes. Next time I'll probably drill them deeper.

Reply to
Cwatters