Solid wood (interior) door - into Dutch door

I want an interior dutch door, and to my dismay am surprised at how expensive they are. I went to HD and saw they sell solid wood doors for around $300. I am thinking I can create my own dutch door by purchasing a solid wood door and cutting it down the center.

Is there anything I need to be concerned about by doing this? Will the door itself come apart by having cut this way? I am concerned that the "Solid Wood" 6 panel door may would be somehow pieced together and cutting across the center may weaken it, or cause it to come apart (glued sections, ect...).

Anyone have any suggestions/experience with this?

Dom

Reply to
dgcam55

well, it's a little iffy. first, watch out because a lot of wood doors are veneer. second, if you cut through a center rail, you will weaken the joinery to the point where it might fall apart. i'd be especially leary of doing this to a door from HD or any other big box. i think that you need a high quality door (and then you might as well spring for a dutch door) one idea would be to look for a recycled door. i've seen doors built in the thirties that could definitely take being cut in half.

Reply to
marson