Smart Meters and what is the answer

I just received a call from the local Electrical Agency. PGE They want to use "smart meters" on all the houses that allow the company to monitor electrical usage without the use of a person.

There has been much controversy about these meters and also the emissions from them.

I know little about this and was wondering if anyone else can shed some light on the subject.

Also with WiFi and many commercial establishments have those, hotels, schools, colleges, and what is the difference between the use of Wi Fi as compared to using a smart meter.

The Public Utility Commission is looking into the request of the power company to install the meters on everyone house and or business. Those who opt out may be "forced" to pay a higher fee also.

I am sure this is coming to all who now get power off the grid if not sooner than later.

Also there is a concern about the accuracy of such meters and the health effects.

Just wondering. john

Reply to
jloomis

PPL has had them for years.. They do not use WiFi they transmit over the power lines. I beleive PPl still goes out to read meters once per year, also lets them check for tampering. Does put a lot of meter readers out of work.

not the other guys.

I do not beleive there is an option to "opt out" here.

Accuracy? same as any other meter, still meters power the same way, just sends in a reading when told to do so. Codes are transmitted to poll a meter, meter responds with its current reading.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

The two companies I am familiar with here in the KC area both use this technology. I don't see a problem with it myself. It's not radio wave, it's signal frequency is transmitted via the power lines themselves, so i don't know what these so called "emissions" would be. Those who opt out, (and i don't know why they'd be given the option) SHOULD pay more. If you have to send a man out to read a meter or two, why shouldn't they pay for that?

Reply to
Steve Barker

Likewise in my area - the meter sends the data every night around midnight, and I can monitor my daily usage and bill from the company website. The send me a weekly estimate of my upcoming bill and will alert me if usage exceeds a threshold that I determine (i.e., 80kwh / day).

Reply to
Matt Barrow