Small deck question.

I am constructing a small 4' * 7' freestanding back door stoop and would like some feedback on beam sizing. Will the 4*6 beams span the 7' with no problem. Joist will be 16"oc. And the stoop will be lightly used.
I'm using 2 4*6 beams attached to 4*4 posts set on concrete footings (16*16*8). The beams are parallel to the side of the house. The first beam is about 19 inches from the foundation wall. I plan on cantilevering 2*6 joists on that side of the porch so that I can get the deck boards up against the house. The beam nearest the house will be lower than the other so that the joists rest on top of it but are flush with the far beam.
I plan on using (2) 6" lag screws per post/beam connection. The beams will be attached to the sides of the posts and the posts will extend up to build a railing. I had planned to add in some minimal y-bracing if needed.
Feedback please. This stoop will step down to a larger patio/deck when all is said and done. If only money wasn't an issue :) I'd do it all now.
= 2*6 joist |||| 4*6 beam 4*4 post on each end of beams. Cantilever of joists is about 19 inches on one side.
<-4 ft-> h| ===||||=====|||| ^ o| ===||||=====|||| 7ft u| ===||||=====|||| ^ s| ===||||=====|||| e| ===||||=====|||| { steps}
Why not connect the deck to the house with a ledger board?
Are you sure that the footings for the first posts will not hit the footing for the house?
Use metal hurricane straps to attach the first beam to the joists resting on top.
How do you know the size of your footings? Got permit.....talked to inspector? This is hard to re -do if it is not to code.
Peace Dawg
in message
[...]
Nice AsciiCad Drawing :o)
umm make your life a little easier
use a 6" post and Two 2x8s nailed together to make your beams Use a little glue too
Then to install your posts use a circular saw to cut yourself a ledge on the top of the post Basicaly you are just going to cut half the thickness of the 6x6 post away so you can rest the beam on it and use Hot Dipped cariage bolts with nuts and lock washers _ | | | |__ | | | |
As for the footing I think maybe 2x2x2 foot block of concrete is fine with a metal post holder to attach the post to the concrete
use 2x8 for your floor joists
However every thing you want to do is probably just on the edge of specs for lumber sizes
Find a Span Chart
bob

Not sure of your sizes, does 4*6 mean a doubled 2" x 6" x 7' ?
How high off the ground is the stoop?
Is the future patio/deck doing to be at ground level?
Steve.

This will probably help.
http://www.harfordcountymd.gov/dilp/DeckConstruction.html
By the way, where are you? Frost line will determine how deep the posts need to be.
Steve.
I want to thank you all for responding. I am in coastal NC and the usual footing for all homes is 2' * 2' * 8" with pretty much no frost line. I poured these for the deck 16*16*8. No inspections will be done. I have decided to go with the 2*8s and 6*6 posts. Will probably just make the deck the full 8 feet of board because I can't go 4' with almost half being cantilevered.
I plan on notching the 6*6 on both sides and then bolting on the 2*8's to form the beams. Kind of sandwiching the 6*6 in between the 2*s. I also thought about doubling up the rim joists on the front and back to form a header so that another cantilever of the joists could be done. The result would be the girder/beam band would be inset from the joist band about a foot all around. Might look a little better than a double band of 2*8.
Hello! I understand you have a crude drawing in your message here, but someone else already commented on a permit and code regulations. These are both important things to consider. You can find span information for joist sizes in many different books and at various online sources. I am concerned that you are planning on attaching a 4*6 beam to the end of the cantalievered 2*6 joists. I'm not sure if you are considering this beam to be an additional support, but in your application a 4*6 will not provide much more, if any more, support than a doubled up 2*6 or even a single 2*6. If you are looking for additional support, I would suggest following one of the other comments to upgrade to a 2*8, but in a 4' span, 2*6's may be sufficient using joist hangers. Hope this helps.
Sincerely, Joseph Podwats CAD Wizards (570) 510-0238 www.CADwizards.com