Slow Drain Solution

Hello. We have a slow drain at home. I've used a specialized hook to probe and found no hair or obstructions. When removing the goose-neck drain, again I found nothing. Deeper down the drain pipe is feels as though something is stuck. I once heard you can use a shop vacuum to retrieve whatever is stuck down a pipe. Have any of you tried it?
edwin, I haven't tried using a shop vac. it can't hurt though i'd be skeptical about success. It could work if the plug is before where the vent ties into the drain line or you can plug the vent to the fixture (which might involve plugging all the vents since they are usually tied together. be aware that you would be sucking sewer gas into the house--not a good thing. Also be aware that you could suck water out of all your other traps, so they would have to be refilled. If you have access to the drain pipe, you might find it easier to cut into it and repair and replace if necessary. A lot of times, it turns out that the drain is jammed with crud for some distance. Have you tried a snake?

Try a snake as it will do alot more quicker if done right if you believe it to be organic in nature try a tablespoon of lye , put in drain wash in with cold water just enough to get it down the pipe . leave 10 mins and rinse with cold water rinse well then switch to hot for a min. works better than any drain cleaner. Been doing it for 15 yrs be carefull and dont leave it in pipe for more than 20 mins without adding water to dilute it as it is corrosive . If it doesn't work get plumber as you probaly are stuck beyoud your ability to fix no offence
This might not work but before an expensive plumber bill, try combination of white vinegar and baking soda. It will bubble. also, though i don't wear dentures, i use denture tablets for periodic cleaning of the garbage disposal. you might try three/four denture tablets. if all else fails, at last resort, the plumber is necessary. or the snake idea too. good luck.
edwin_g wrote:

--
Betty Boop

edwin_g wrote:

Andy writes: I've had good luck by sticking a garden hose into the drain, sealing up the basin with a wet towel, and then turning on the water..... The water from the hose will be 30-50 psi, and blow all the crap in the drain pipe into the larger drain that it feeds.
They make expandable nozzles that one can buy to do this, but just sticking the hose into the drain and sealing with a wet towel has always worked well for me......
Don't turn on the water until you have the towel in place , else you will make a mess....
Andy in Eureka, Texas

As a plumber of 35 years I can add a little light on the subject. It sounds like it is a bath sink drain? Do not, I repeat, do not use any "liquid plumber" type stuff. Bad for the drain, bad for the envieroment. Always use a "Bio" type cleaner like Bio-sure or Bio-safe. Great stuff. It will eat all the sludge that can accumulate in the drain system. If you have always had this problem it's possible that something non- biodegradable is stuck in the drain. If that is the case then I recommend a plumber with a very small camera and a small drain snake. Check plumber guarantee first.