(Siding/Arch. Columns Q)Please help me decide on how to spruce the front of my house up!

here is a link to how it looks now:
http://beaconlightconsulting.com/frontofhouse2008.jpg
we never had a problem before because we had these huge oaks covering the entire front of the house. now it is completely OPEN! We need some help. Any suggestions? I was thinking about half brick (bottom), half vinyl siding, etc. or maybe all brick?
The entire house is vinyl siding right now.
Landscaping ideas would work as well, now that we have light to grow plants!
Thanks in advance,
Kyle
Shutters for the windows would help.

awesome tip. thanks!
what do you think about putting brick up to the top of the first level on the front? or any other recommendations to make it not look like the backside of a house?

Skip the brick! Thicker posts & top rail on the porch would help. Shutters as suggested by others might help in conjunction with the porch changes.
It's an o.k. house as is. It is never going to be great. I think you are a bit shocked by the removal of the trees. Give it time.

How do you get in to the house? Providing an entrance would give the building some 'focus' other than the garage doors. A gate with a bit of 'roof' over it would put the existing facade in the 'background'.

Thanks T!
Do you think black shutters will work?
And why skip the brick? A lot of two-story houses I have seen two- toned in the front.. like brick / stuco, stuco / hardy plank, etc..
Here is another angle of the house:
http://beaconlightconsulting.com/frontofhouse-2-2008.jpg