sidewalks, one square at a time

My girlfriend and her husband recently inherited a house. They have had a lot of work done on it and used me for as much of it as they could. It was nice to be able to offer them the same generosity yesterday now that progressive has paid me for their blind, stupid, teenaged insured running me over on my bike. [Now that I've got their money, I don't want to strangle Flo anymore.]
So these are people that I'm trying to be as generous with as possible. I'm also trying to write myself into their script as often as I can too. They pay me better than anyone else right now by a factor of 33%.
So, I want to pour concrete for them. They need it. I can do it. I've seen a lot of concrete poured in my day, and the operations have almost always been bigger than a one-man-band. For example, in resi home-building, there would be a day where we poured the basement slab. It was hard work in my late 20's, and that with a truck showing up and putting the mud right where you tell him, with the slump correct and fiberglass if you could afford it.
q1) What are the limits of quikrete as it regards making a suitable sidewalk slab?
q2) If you were creating a slab on packed, undisturbed adobe--it's the best stuff I've ever poured on--using quikrete, how big would you make the rectangles maximally? It takes about 15 minutes to mix a new batch in the wheelbarrow.
q3) Given that I've got a little cabbage to spend and have an available tow package on a 3/4 ton truck, what might I think about in terms of upgrading my ability to deliver the mud?
Thanks for your comment, and cheers,
--
Uno

Price the Quickrete bags, then price a ready-mix truck. It's not even close unless you're doing a tiny job. Hire help if need be - you won't be paying for it.
RicodJour wrote:

Well I'm not gonna price a truck sitting on my ass tonight thinking about music mostly.
That said, I will price a truck when ambition strikes again. I do remember that when (resi construction firm) we ordered trucks later, that is, had a little bit more money, we did include the fiberglass.
On days like that, I didn't really have all that much time or ability to think about the durability of it, but now that I have my leisure I'd like to raise the topic.
In what cases would you use fiberglass?
In what cases would you use fiberglass in abq, nm?
--
Uno

I would form it and get a truck. Mixing by hand and then finishing....is fine for small jobs. They do have trucks that come and pour what you need.......Mixed right on the spot. That is usually cheaper than a Redi Mix truck and a short load yardage fee. Anyway, it is always cheaper by the bag, but harder on the body and I would say with the concrete going off in the last hour, and mixing a fresh batch an hour later....you have some waiting time and time to finish too..... In other words....having it poured all at once in a reasonable time, will let the concrete go off too at a reasonable time. Finish all at once..... The delays in mixing by hand, and hours later still mixing........means waiting for some and finishing some.....hummmm john

jloomis wrote:

Thx, john, I definitely want to price against that, because if I can get someone else to put my concrete on the arbitrary x,y,z, I'll always be inclined in that direction.
Many neighborhoods in abq are poorly planned. This one's no different, and there isn't a way to get a truck back there. We also have high walls here.
Do they have a towed mixer that operates an electrical motor?
--
Uno

Check (tool) rental places. Yes, electric mixers are available, you can buy but I suspect rental is where you want to go.
You can "pump" the concrete for a fee also. I always pump my concrete to the site where needed. If I add up the time it takes to get the concrete bags, load them up, unload, mix, place and finish, I am well ahead by getting a pump and a mix from a truck. Again it is the size of the pour that decides this. If it is over a yard.......3' x 3' x 3' (cubic yard size) that is over 27 bags of concrete depending on weight......and it takes you how long to mix a bag? jloomis construction and concrete

Do not mix by hand. Rent a mixer, electric is available but small. Gas powered mixers would be more suitable for a sidewalk (unless it's a really small sidewalk)
Option "b" Power buggy.....Gas powered wheelbarrow, they have a hydraulic dump on them too, you can get 1/4 yard and 1/2 yard capacity. These are great if you can't get the ready mix truck near your pour spot.
http://www.multiquip.com/multiquip/pdfs/product-brochures/Buggies-1204-brochure.pdf
The ones I've seen were not ride on, they were walk behind.
I've never had good luck with bag mix concrete, always goes to peices in a few years on me.

Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.
There are ready-mix places that will rent you a half-yard trailer with a hydraulic "tilt bed" which will pull just fine with your 3/4 ton truck. They'll fill the trailer with whatever strength you want. Of course you need to be within a half-hour or so travel time, or your load will become a large brick.
--- ---
Radio KHB wrote:

Thanks all for responses. I'll take your comments into consideration.
--
Uno