Shower bed mortar

Does anyone know if it is OK to use regular brick mortar for a custom shower bed? Thanks in advance K

Reply to
geo.nova

Sakrete works just fine. We've had a tile guy do portland cement mortar and a tile guy that uses QuickCrete. The plumbers that have done pans for us have used the concrete mix. FWIW I just finished the bed above the liner myself using QuickCrete. I hope it slopes to the drain!

Reply to
Dave in Houston

I just bought a Lasco one-piece shower stall and the instructions called our plaster of paris or other bedding compound. I nearly used some leftover joint compound that I have as I believe this is similar to plaster of paris, but I've seen the joint compound crack too easily so I bought plaster of paris. I can't see any reason that mortar mix wouldn't work, but since the store had both I got what was called out specifically.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

As a general rule brick mortar with lime is not meant for paving or or wet beds but a small amount of lime would be ok. Certainly not the common mix with equal parts lime and portland.

Reply to
tmurf.1

I always use saccrete sand mix

If you want to go spec,. try LATICRETE 209 Floor Mud

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Mud

It is ok, just make sure you mix it VERY VERY dry. Don't forget to use the liner and slope it 1/4" per ft.

Reply to
beerguzzler50

Mud

I use portland and sand, I call it walking the dog when mixing with a shovel on a hard surface. The above post needs to be heeded! MIX IT VERY VERY VERY DRY! Start at your drain and work out. TAMP TAMP TAMP if firm then straight edge to looking for low spots. Watch your slope or else the tile will be uneven. Don't forget the pan!

Reply to
Raider Bill

What is the reason for this? Is it so it will hold the slope, or so it won't shrink while drying, or?

Thanks, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

No no and no

Reply to
claudevautour

Mostly strength and shrinking. Holding the slope is also a benefit, but it could be wetter and still do that.

Reply to
beerguzzler50