Shipping Container Architecture

Many examples of using shipping containers as architectural elements:

Joe

One reason is that a single-container home can be shipped, e.g. to a disaster area like a tsunami-damaged zone or a war zone. I've heard that in Iraq the military and/or contractors are using containers as living quarters.

Reply to
Joe

"Don" wrote in news:fucukg01b96 @news3.newsguy.com:

Hi Don,

The reason is containers are easy to find, can be bought cheap and the have known structural qualities. These things get lugged on/off ships and roll around the oceans. A few years ago in Western Australia an entire township, in the path of a Category 5 cyclone. got inside a 12m/40 ft container for shelter. They all came out again unharmed.

I've recently done a set of drawings demonstrating that a 6 x 2.44 x 2.5m container can meet the code requirements for a dwelling. Row of 3 x 0.5m steel stumps fixed to the lifting rails each side concreted into the ground, Simple low-pitched roof with overhangs and enough space for foil batt insulation, enough room (just) for required facilities. You don't have to have too many personal possessions ....

2.44m width is a bit uncomfortable. The deluxe version is to bolt two containers together sideways.
Reply to
Troppo

Reply to
jloomis

What makes you think the stones are solid? How the hell could they have lifted them if they were solid? They'd weigh tons! Of course they are hollow and that's where all the really cool bodies - dog and crocodile headed aliens - are entombed. I'm surprised you didn't know.

RicodJour

Would you like to send them to me?

Reply to
Warm Worm

Bob Vila did a series in South Florida with two steel containers that had a

20' space between them. When it was done, you could not tell it was made out of the containers. Some outfit out of Tampa is utilizing the containers to make Hurricane resistant houses.

Reply to
Bill

I have a shipping container design in my head that got out halfway on my previous laptop just before I dropped it down an escalator. :D

Reply to
Warm Worm

If you can imagine removing the side from one end to the other. Then placing another container 12' away with the length of it's side removed also, you get some of the idea of the size. Something like 28' X 40'.

The roof was a truss style roof 3/12 pitch.

The base of each container was welded to the footer that elevated it two feet off of the ground at each secure point every 8'.

Ended up to be a good size house that looked nothing at all like the original containers.

I think the company was something like "Tampa Armature works".

Reply to
Bill

Here is the link for the Bob Vila show.

Bill

"Bill" wrote in news:urNPj.30750$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews1.bellsouth.net:

Interesting, thanks :)

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Look on Craig's list. I see them on there all the time for $600 up to $1400.

20' up to 40'.

Not sure of the weight, but I'm sure they will deliver for a fee.

Reply to
Bill