Shed on a slope

I'm looking at putting a shed in my garden - it would be located on an existing concrete hardstanding area which slopes approx 1 in 10. The shed will probably be about 6' x 4'. What's the best support for the shead base at the downhill end? I'd rather not construct a level concrete foundation & am wondering whether it could be supported on cinder blocks or similar.

Reply to
maspiers

If it's not visible, and you just want to store the lawnmower, set it on the existing concrete pad and let it lean. Plastic or metal sheds won't care.

If you're stick-building it, just make the walls taller at the downhill side. Concrete blocks would probably do, as long as you fasten them down. Make the uphill side drain around the building so you don't get a puddle there.

If it's a kit, and you can't alter the walls to match the ground, you could use concrete blocks to make a level foundation. You'll have the problem of cutting the blocks to match the grade. You could also shim up underneath the walls with wood construction, but you'll have to cross-brace it to make sure it doesn't wiggle.

Reply to
SteveB

Due to the height vs. the side dimensions, I would suspect such a shed would be very susceptible to wind. That is, topheavy vs a more substantial shed in terms of ground coverage. You need a way to tie such shed down at the foundation. Along with that, you are unable to store substantial weighted objects to help with such a problem. Am assuming you're installing an independent floor as well.

Reply to
Dioclese

A 8x12 or so prebuilt only needs 9 concrete block, I would worry on the uphill part and want it off the ground by 3-6" so rain runnoff goes under the shed and does not constantly hit it. Or make a water diversion wall. You could level it with 2" concrete block, but is it a windy area.

Reply to
ransley