septic pipe is in the way

I'm digging a trench for a footer that will support a sunroom. I'm putting it 24" down and live in SW PA, is this deep enough? Also I have a septic line which will run under the sunroom to the tank, I"ve measured and it is only 15" below the surface which runs right through the trench. How do you suggest we deal with putting the footer and blocks around it?

Reply to
Matt Lauffer

hire a contractor who knows what they're doing. Check building codes

Reply to
richard

With frost and or snow I am not familiar with depth of footing. In Calif. 24" deep is quite enough. Actually rule of thumb is until you hit solid "terra firma" Solid ground.... With a pipe it is ok to wrap it and pour concrete around it. When you wrap it, it allows slippage for the pipe. Some use foam tape, others use tar paper, and the object is to give the pipe room so when the concrete cracks or settles the pipe has room for this to happen. John

I'm digging a trench for a footer that will support a sunroom. I'm putting it 24" down and live in SW PA, is this deep enough? Also I have a septic line which will run under the sunroom to the tank, I"ve measured and it is only 15" below the surface which runs right through the trench. How do you suggest we deal with putting the footer and blocks around it?

Reply to
jloomis

Here's a document that will give you an indication of the requirements.

Provide clearance for the pipe to pass through the footer without being in contact. Seal the gap with a flexible solid material.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

NE Ohio frost footer depth is 40" so yours wuold be close to that

Reply to
v8z

I was always told 36" for around Allentown Pa. seems that's right in the middle of the PSU charts.

Do like Bob says with the pipe.

Fountation wall should look like an unside down "T" if you are using a

8" wall (or 8" blocks) the trench should be 16" wide.... 2X the wall thickness. Pour concrete base, I forget how thick it needs to be, then lay your block on that.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333