screw jack support posts

A house i'm looking to buy has a two story addition they put on within the last five years - during home inspection, the inspector pointed out that the screw jack support posts are below grade level and thus prone to rusting out. Does anyone have any insight on how "atypical" this is, or how concerned I should be about this?

crawl space or basement?
crawl space it's not the best practice a poured post would be better; basement, common.
Not sure how to answer that (novice here). The addition is off the 2nd and 3rd floor off the back side of the house (extending about 12' away from the house), with the supports going into the ground. The yard slopes down from the backside of the house, so the basement is totally under ground in the front and about 3/4 under ground out back. The screw jacks go into the ground out there- creating a crawl space type of area under the addition (kind of like houses you see at the beach, appearing as though they are sitting on pillars). You can only see 3-4 feet of the supports then they go into the ground.
DAC wrote:

So the posts, they're on the interior of a crawl space, correct? If they are, and do not come into contact with the soil or moisture, I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work. It they are exposed to the "elements" I would personally use concrete piers.
Depending on how serious you are about the house, and if this is a factor you might be able to get a credit to change it. Do you have pictures to share?

Based on later posting, I would count on doing some foundation work. T

We call them helical piles. They are usually used when subsurface conditions at the usually footing level are inadequate for bearing. Steel in contact with moisture will rust....eventually. I can't advise on how long, but you have to also ask how long the building above is expected to last.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca