Rubber shower pan liner

I'm installing a fully tiled shower. I know that there are several different products on the market and each manufacturer has its own specifications to seal the joints. And no one at Home Depot can tell me which one they sell or how to seal the joints. Does anyone know?? -------------------------------------
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 15545 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 1, 4:04 pm, mnella_at_comcast_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (urbanj) wrote:

You use pvc cement to seal seams. It melts the 2 ends together. Make sure you overlap them.
Add pictures here
✖

So you think he's talking about a plastic shower enclosure. Cause I was thinking he meant real tile. And I was sort of interested in the answer cause I was considering building a full tiled, wall and floor, shower myself. And wondered if there was anything beyond the normal grout sealer for use on a tile shower floor.
Add pictures here
✖
(urbanj) wrote:

So you think he's talking about a plastic shower enclosure. Cause I was thinking he meant real tile. And I was sort of interested in the answer cause I was considering building a full tiled, wall and floor, shower myself. And wondered if there was anything beyond the normal grout sealer for use on a tile shower floor.
*A tiled shower is not the ultimate water stopper. It is what you install under the tile that makes it waterproof. The options are hot mopping, a copper pan or a liner.
I personally like Laticrete's Spectra Lock grout because it is resistant to mold and mildew and it does not require periodic sealing. You can buy it at Lowes.
Add pictures here
✖

You might want to have a look at the Schluter "Kerdi" waterproofing membrane system, instead of the vinyl liner. I used Kerdi for our large 6'x6' walk-in shower and found it very easy to use.
You can find advice and lots of folks who use Kerdi on the John Bridge tiling forum.
Add pictures here
✖

You may want to look at WEDI http://www.wedi.de/home_usa/products/fundo/fundo.php
to see if there's a distributor of the WEDI system in your area http://www.wedi.de/usa/wedi_partner/representatives.php
Their molded pans and wall system is bulletproof and almost "idiotproof". I used a 4'x6' pan and drain assembly with 1/2" WEDI on the studs - simple as can be and is completely water tight. Beauty of the system is you can carry the pan with one hand, and don't have to haul and mix bag after bag of mortar mix for a traditional pan. And no, I don't work for them - actually had to convince the distributor to sell to me since thye usually sell only to contractors. I studied the online installation docs before going in to see them, and the guy said I almost knew more about it that he did.....
Add pictures here
✖

For a fact a mud shower pan is a bit of work and you need to know how to mud it right so the water flows. I've never done anything else but am open to something new on ny new house as "walking the dog" mixing the mud sucks.
Add pictures here
✖

-------------------------------------
You may want to look at WEDI

*Looks like a perfect product for a do-it-yourselfer. No special tools required and light weight make it very attractive.
Add pictures here
✖
This site will tell you exactly what you need to know
http://www.ehow.com/how_4776998_build-shower-base.html
Add pictures here
✖
Dave&Sons,Inc. had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/construction/Re-Rubber-shower-pan-liner-16537-.htm : We used to hot mop under the weti systems on KB homes tracts due to lawsuits. I know every year someone comes out with something "better" than hot mop, but if that were the case I believe the ceramic tile institute would recommend that product. Hot mop gets a bad name because idiot roofers and do-it-yourselfers try to do it. A good hot mopper cant be beat, lasts 50+ years and if they are good you wont smell a thing(fox fan vent system).Good Luck snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 16733 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Add pictures here
✖