roofing violation question

Our building is 60 years old. If our building roofing appears leads or asbestos, what action NY DOB will take? I heard DOB may ask residents move out from building and demolish it. Will it happen? it doesnt make any sense to me.
On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 14:20:44 -0800 (PST), Jay Zhu wrote:

Ask them. As they will have to look at how intensive the lead/asbestos is and see what damage there is. I don't believe they can just force a move out without first having to buy the building from the owner. And there would have to be a court order.
You can also hire a lead and asbestos abatement contractor to remove the lead and asbestos. They are in the business just for this purpose. Look under Lead and Asbestos Abatement Contractors in you local area. jloomisconstruction.com
Also if you purchased this building and there has been any disclosure concerning the lead and asbestos? If so, you were aware of the problem. If not, you have missed an important aspect when renovation of old buildings. Usually a property/building inspection is done to bring these items out prior to close of escrow also. So you can have a clause that does not bind you upon disclosure. Lots going on here. john "Jay Zhu" wrote in message
Our building is 60 years old. If our building roofing appears leads or asbestos, what action NY DOB will take? I heard DOB may ask residents move out from building and demolish it. Will it happen? it doesnt make any sense to me.

There would be very few buildings in NYC if the demolished every one that had some lead or asbestos. You're listening to old wives' tales.
If you remodel or reroof you may have to replace the old roofing and use an abatement company. All the information you need will be on the city's web site. Or pick up the phone.