Roofer Question

So we did a big renovation on our house and one of the things that we did was the roof. When we bid the roof I wanted shingles, but was first told that the pitch wasn't steep enough for shingles and we'd have to go with the loose rock that was on there originally. After I was given a price to add pitch to the roof I told them to go with the loose rock. Then my contractor said that the roofer could do shingles and we'd be okay without adding pitch, so I gave them a green light. Cut to the other day when I notice that the part of the roof is shingled and part is not. When I asked the contractor about it he told me that in fact the pitch was not there for shingles so leaving the material under exposed was okay, and if I wanted the roofer would come and mastic (sp?) some shingles on top of the material. I set up a page so you can take a look at the work that's been done. Personally the whole thing sounds pretty hinky to me, but I was hoping for some information so when I have my meeting with my contractor he won't be able to BS me.
http://gallery.me.com/kathyleegifford#100228
Thanks for all the help.
Lloyd
On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 16:59:50 -0700 (PDT), Kathy Lee Gifford wrote:

From the photos I can't see the pitch that well. You need to take a few shots that show the entire roof. Unless it's a flat roof, you can shingle it. I'm no shingles expert but I'd say your contractor isn't one either. In contracting, lowest bid sometimes gets lowest quality work.
I believe it is spelled MASTIK. and is kind of a cement mortar. Go to a good hardware store in your area and ask them about it and it's uses.
So we're in the process of doing a big renovation on our house and one of the things that we did was the roof. When we bid the roof I wanted shingles, but was told that I would have to add pitch if I wanted to go with shingles. There was loose rock on this small section of roof and the garage. After I was given a price to add pitch to the roof I told them to go with the loose rock. Then my contractor said that the roofer could do shingles and we'd be okay without adding pitch, so I gave them a green light. Cut to the other day when I notice that part of the roof is shingled and part is not. When I asked the contractor about it he told me that in fact the pitch was not there for shingles so they did part with shingles and part without. He knows he screwed up and he left a voicemail saying if I wanted the roofer would come and mastic (sp?) some shingles on top of the material.
Personally the whole thing sounds pretty hinky to me, but I was hoping for some words of advice so when I have my meeting with my contractor he won't be able to BS me.
I set up a page so you can see what the roof looks like:
http://web.me.com/kathyleegifford/roof/Photos.html#grid username: myroof password: myroof (both are case sensitive)
Thanks for all the help.
Lloyd
On 6/29/2011 12:32 AM, Kathy Lee Gifford wrote:

Put the images on a site with less scripting... My script blocker won't even display the main page let alone your images.
--
I'm never going to grow up.

On 6/29/2011 6:20 AM, PeterD wrote:

i was able to go right to the pictures. no problem.
--
Steve Barker
On 6/29/2011 2:58 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

Certainly many can, but people like me who have computers setup so that sites with excessive scripting and redirecting won't see them.
--
I'm never going to grow up.

I saw them? huummm john

On 6/29/2011 3:07 PM, jloomis wrote:

> I saw them? > huummm > john >
I know some do. But I (and a lot of others who are tired of malware being pushed by web sites) block most scripting. Scripting has no use for displaying images, and that site was horribly setup with both scripting and strange redirects.
--
I'm never going to grow up.

Hello Kathy, What I see in the photo's is a botched roofing job. The existing rolled roofing and existing flashing is in question also. To shingle over the rolled roofing is an "easy out" for this roofer. The rolled roofing has been penetrated by walking on it and nailing into it. Mastic, and or "roof patch" is not a way to permanently repair either. That is a "quick fix" I may be too clinical when I roof, but I feel it is the most important part of a house.
# 1 Determine pitch. Standard shingles will handle a 3/12 pitch although with proper underlayment procedure. # 2 Determine if the roof can handle additional load for new shingles or take off all existing compromised roofing materials. # 3 Inspect and replace all compromised flashing @ wall to roof (this may have to be done while re-roofing, and or after re-roofing depending on how it lays" # 4 Re-roof with either composition shingle if pitch can handle it, or use a torch down "dibiten"(this product is used more now in lieu of rolled roofing)
# 5 Get a good roofer to do the job. johnloomisconstruction.com
"Kathy Lee Gifford" wrote in message
[...]
On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 06:42:58 -0700, jloomis wrote:

forget the meds or not enough coffee this morning? jloomisconstruction.com works better.
jloomis posted for all of us...

Did you mean Bitumen or bituminous roofs ?
--
Tekkie

Dibiten..... Dibiten is a superior APP modified bitumen membrane for residential, commercial and industrial roofing. Torch Down.