Roof cement to adhere shingles?

I am making a rabbit hutch for a friend and to avoid nails through the plywood roof, I was thinking of using roofing cement to adhere the 3 tab shingles to the wood instead of nails.
Will the roofing cement suffice in windy/stormy weather once it has dried/cured? This is not a high tech/demanding project, just want something trouble free.

For something this size I'd probably go with short screws. You can always add washers if you think the heads are too small.
on 11/8/2007 1:31 PM snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com said the following:

shingle underneath so no wind can get under it. If they do blow off, just pick them up off the ground and re-glue them. :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Then go with metal and use short screws. You can put metal on plywood to keep the heat down. Use the techshield decking and you will further enhance the cool underside of the roof.
If you try to glue shingles down, are you going to first glue down the felt and then glue the shingles to the felt? You are not thinking about eliminating the felt are you?
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Nails are a good thing as you know. You could cut a piece of styrofoam and just press it to the ceiling having the exposed nails hold it. Much easier to "reroof" of course.
You could use maybe polyurethane caulk tubes. Depending on the size of the hutch, could get expensive. They do make the contractor size tubes which may cut the cost. You would need a special caulking gun for it of course. "reroofing" nightmare probably.
Will work fine.
Next time for the animal type buildings, consider rolled roofing. Do the job in warm weather.
--
Dave
Profound is we\'re here due to a chance arrangement

on 11/10/2007 2:08 PM Craig M said the following:

or other hardware stores

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

of a suitable length.
Don Young
Don Young wrote:

Roofing cement is the way to go. It is typically a black tarry stuff and works very well. I used it on a real house a few years ago and not a shingle has blown off despite several storms. No staples, thank you.
RF

OK, I did it with roofing cement. The metal roof would have been an alternative, but i had a bunch of shingles already. I cemented them all down and let it sit for a week. Then I loaded it in the back of my truck with the bottoms of the shingles facing into the wind driving (it was above my rooftop of the cab). They stayed on at 55MPH for 5 miles, so I think they will hold OK! Thanks for the replies.