Removing ceiling joists

We have a dormer and it is built into the gable roof. We are adding a skylight and would like to remove the ceiling joists to drywall with the roofline. Can we remove these safely without compromising the roof?
-------------------------------------

Almost assuredly not. People don't add useless structural elements when they're building houses. They're there for a reason. If you really want to get rid of the ceiling joists you should get a professional opinion.
Posting a link to some pictures would help in the diagnosis.
Shelly wrote the following:

Not enough information. Is the dormer part of a room in the attic? Are you putting the skylight in the dormer roof? Does the dormer have a flat roof or a gabled roof? Is the skylight shaft going to pass through the attic to the room(s) below the attic? I guess it must be if you are talking about cutting ceiling joists, unless you meant cutting rafters.
Here is some info. http://www.millardlumber.com/HowTo/skylights/skylight.htm
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
"Shelly" wrote in message
We have a dormer and it is built into the gable roof. We are adding a skylight and would like to remove the ceiling joists to drywall with the roofline. Can we remove these safely without compromising the roof?
Of course a better description of the problem would be beneficial. jloomisconstruction.com