Removing carpet under drywall

Hi,

I'm currently removing the carpet from my living room in order to replace it with hardwood. I just realized that one of the walls in my living room is a drywall that seems to have been built on top of the carpet. So there are no tack strips across that wall and I'm just having to cut the carpet as close to the wall as possible. Secondly, the one tackstrip on the wall perpendicular to this drywall goes under this drywall to the next room. So I guess I'm going to have to cut the tack strip in the middle?

I'm a little worried about the little bit of carpet that's still stuck to the wall. Not sure how to get a nice clean cut. Any advice will be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Seema

Reply to
seemapai

I've seen this before in mobile homes and some modulars. There should be wood trim at the base of the wall. Remove the trim and cut the carpet flush with the wall. Cut the tack strip with a chisel flush with the wall.

Reply to
John Reddy

Is it a full-height wall of quite a long length or simply a short divider built into the room as a divider sort of thing? If I were doing it, I'd far _prefer_ to lay the floor solid rather than leave a wall sitting on carpet/pad, but how much effort I'd go to would depend on just how substantial the wall really is. It really isn't much effort to knock in a filler wall and slap some drywall back over it or it might be possible if it's a "knee wall" or similar to simply raise it up or move it out of the way temporarily.

W/O that, assuming there's baseboard and maybe shoe mould at the bottom, take it off (of course) and trim as close as you can. The base and shoe will then cover the sin. If there wasn't, same thing -- trim as close as you can and then add base and shoe.

Reply to
dpb

There is a type of circular saw that flooring installers use to cut the bottom of trim around door frames so the new flooring material can be slipped into the cut that is made making a clean install for the new flooring material which raises the height of the existing floor when the new flooring materials are laid. This circular saw sits flat on the floor and the blade spins perpendicular to the wall or the door frame. A "kerf" is cut out of the wall or door frame allowing new flooring material to be laid-in.

Call the tool rental service providers and ask about this type of circular saw used by flooring installers.

Hi,

Reply to
clintonG