Removing Basement wall, load bearing?

My husband and I just recently purchase a split level home and would like to make the bottom level (basement) one large room. My husband says that the joists that runs above the wall we want to tear down are diagonal. I had heard that if the joists are diagonal above the wall that means it is not a load bearing wall and that we can tear it down. Please advise?
sjajsa wrote:

Direction isn't the determining factor; it's whether they're transferring load to the wall--you need somebody who knows what they're looking at to assess the situation.

Contact your local building inspctor, have him come out and tell you what you have there, thats what taxes are paid for, let him earn his money.

sjajsa wrote:

Diagonal? If the joists are perpendicular, then the wall is probably load bearing. If parallel, might not be. Diagonal? Who knows? You need an expert that knows what he is looking at.
A wall may be load bearing for many reasons besides whether or not the joists are parallel or perpendicular, or for that matter, diagonal.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.