remove morter marks

My builder carried out a messy pointing job on by facing brickwork. How can re remove the dried out mortar. Removing it with a chisel is damaging the brickface.
Yaz
If there is that much that you already tried a chisel the first thing I would do is get my money back or call the local contracters board and have him come back and fix it at his exspense. If it is surface "bloom" just a messy smear a murtic acid solution will take some of it off or all of it. It may take several applications. The other option is to pressire wash the brick with just water ( at least 3000psi and the proper nozel) the other option is sand blasting or soda blasting all of which HE should be responsiable to do not you. Yaz wrote:

Do not pressure wash newly mortared brickwork. Use 2 parts muriatic acid mixed with 1 part water and a stiff brush then rinse well with a hose. WEAR GOGGLES to protect your eyes. The sooner the work is done the better as the mortar will continue to harden over time. That's about the only safe way to do the job without risking further damage.
<%= Clinton Gallagher NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com URL http://clintongallagher.metromilwaukee.com / MAP 432'17"N 882'37"W : 432'17"N 882'37"W