remove masking tape from vinyl siding?

I put some masking tape on some vinyl siding so I could paint the trim. Got sick, chemo radiation etc and now it has hardened on the siding. Any ideas how to remove it? Thanks, paul

Reply to
PaulS

Try spraying with WD-40, and letting it soak. However, WD-40 is volitile so don't let it sit for more than a day or you'll loose the effect.

Not sure if it will work, but that is how I take off most old tape.

Also try ATF, which won't evaporate but takes longer to soak in. ANother thing to try, but really smelly, is diesel fuel/ATF in a 50/50 mix. Stinks, wash well before going inside.

Reply to
PeterD

First, glad to see you're past the point that you're now interested and able to followup...

If you can manage to get the bulk of the tape itself to peel leaving the adhesive residue, the Goo remover works pretty well and isn't too much of a solvent that would dissolve the vinyl.

If the whole tape itself is stuck and won't peel at all, I'd try a hot pressure washer first if had one available. Otherwise, a good long soak and stiff-bristled brush would be my first try at it. After that, I don't have a really good suggestion...

--

Reply to
dpb

Since it is plastic I would try something less volatile first like vegetable oil. Put some on a paper towel and try to get a heavy coat on an area and let it sit for a while. If it is going to work the adhesive will turn to goo and then you can wipe and off and finish with a typical household spray cleaner.

Reply to
George

A common hair dryer (NOT a high temp. heat gun) should soften the adhesive enough to allow removing the tape in strips, but will not get hot enough to deform the siding. Start at an end, and work along the length, heating just ahead of the area you're pulling. Citrus oil solvent like GOO-Gone to remove any left-over.

Reply to
v8z

Thanks for the responses, I'll try this weekend. Paul

Reply to
PaulS

replying to PaulS, RexD wrote: Hi Paul, I have the same problem, and I wondered if you remember what finally worked for you 11 years ago. I have about 20' of tape, so I don't think I can afford that much WD-40. I don't happen to have jet fuel lying around. I thought of hair dryer, but it did, in fact, deform the vinyl. My siding guy suggested Magic Eraser, but that was a loser. My next idea is sandpaper, but I'm pretty sure that's going to make the trim look pretty bad. Thanks Rex

Reply to
RexD

replying to PaulS, vondeser wrote: Metal siding means corrosion... and even if it is covered with paint or zinc-coating, there can still be some kind of scratches, and everything will begin to rust there. Metal is also hard, and if, for example, compare it with vinyl one, vinyl siding is much easier to install. I installed it 2 years ago without problems! Now I am planning to clean it and I search for a vinyl siding cleaner. Can you advise anything?

Reply to
vondeser

I Tried everything including goo gone for tape marks that have been on the siding for 8 years and Powerwashed it every year. Finally tried GOOF OFF pro strength remover aerosol spray. Came off immediately.

Reply to
Jmd