Register and Diffuser

I am currently resarching on a project trying to find out what is the single most used size of sidewall register and floor diffuser installed in homes:
1. Homes more than 30 years old 2. Homes less than 30 years old 3. Apartments 4. any regional differences? (ex: East Coast vs the Mid-West)
Thanks for answering.
While I doubt you won't get anywhere on these questions, you could always try contacting a major grill manufacture and ask what are there most popular sizes. Try Ameriflow for starters.
http://www.americanmetalproducts.com/grd/ameriflow/ameriflow.htm
Then try several associations within the HVAC trades (Google search). I doubt there will be any real answers (the grill manufactures won't want this info to fall into the hands of their competitors and the contractors probably don't keep detailed records.