Refooting Large Building -Help

Hi, The Bottom plate is gone and I am having troubling lifting it to slip a new 4x2 into place,see

I was able to get one end or about the first 12 feet but as I get to the middle it is getting more and more heavy. Main problem is lifting the uprights,can lift the floor no problems,but those uprights are jammed hard down with lots of weight.

The building is about 30m long by about 8-9m wide,the walls are tied at the roof line with steel bars to stop the weight of the roof pushing the walls out,along with a network of wooden truss sections etc.

Any Ideas on how to lift these?

TIA

Reply to
Cyborg 0019

place,see

could try fastening a ledger to the studs (uprights as you call them) and jacking on that. I've moved garages like that, don't know if it would work on a heavier building.

Reply to
marson

Rent a bunch of steel I-beams, the renter should be able to tell you what size you need. Dig out enough so that you can get the I-beams in place under the supporting walls. Jack up the I-beams using the hydraulic jacks, or even a good car/truck jack. Work through the jacks one at a time lifting maybe a 15mm, then on to the next jack. Once the house is as high as you need it to go, use railway ties or other braces to hold up the I-beams while you do your work. Don't work under the jacks alone - if one of them gives, you may be in for some trouble.

Carolyn

Reply to
Carolyn Marenger

place,see

Arhh,Great idea,I am looking at about 10ton of weight however on each of these studs once lifted a fraction I think,well 5 ton jacks are giving it up if you get me. A ledger I have seen done before on houses years ago,then using 22ton long truck jacks to lift it off the ledger. I am guessing that putting a ledger on these 4x2 studs may almost spilt them when weight is transfered to a couple of them in series. Making the ledger is another thing altogether,it would need to be a good bit of steel to take 10 ton.

Its the best idea yet,possibly the only. Thanks again.

Reply to
Cyborg 0019

Is this a wood framed building?

2x4 studs? Wood roof? Trusses? Steel bar joists? One story or two? Is this a wood framed floor? Concrete slab? Is the floor in reasonable condition?

Can you install a 4x4 or something similar that pushes on all the floor joists close to the outside wall with a 2x XX as a mud sill? A 20 ton bottle jack every four feet or so should be able to pick almost anything up with good control. How far are trying to raise this?

Reply to
DanG

Yes almost all wood, walls are 3.2m high with 4x2 studs

Yes, wood roof has shingles then roofing iron ontop to add to the weight,There is a total of 3 steel bar joists running at the top of the walls, One story high

Yes wood floor boards through out,in execlent condition.

It could be possible,however the weight is great,also as it sits on the old 4x2 mud sill it has become undulated so is not quiet a straight push to get the new one in.

I got the first part in by lifting about 1/8 in then bashing the new mudsill in with a sledge hammer at the same time pushing the old one out underneath the building,It was messy and I split alot og the bottoms of the wall studs

The problem possed is one to lift the studs as they bear more than 5 ton each,how to attach to the studs,?

1 inch would be the maximum it needs to be lifted,to replace the mud sill.

Thanks

Reply to
Cyborg 0019