Rebuilding New Orleans!

Why can't anyone left or right organize the construction workers who are laid off about three or four months every year due to cold weather and get them down to New Orleans and the Gulf Coast and rebuild the place? Does anyone know?

Reply to
Barry Keller

because it's a shithole??

I wouldn't risk my health working there.

Reply to
bill allemann

Where is it that you think construction workers are sitting around at home watching TV for four months out of the year?

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF

Last year we poured two slab on grade houses on january 10 and commenced framing days later. I haven't been laid off in the winter in 10 years.

Reply to
marson

For one, the threat of this event happening again in this area is virtually guaranteed. No one really confronts this issue head on in public. For two, it is, aside from the oil, which has been fixed or rebuilt, a very poor area which can be ignored and no one of eliteness will be bothered at any time about it. Three, most of these areas are abandoned of the people which have restarted life away from there. I could go on...

Each of these could be considered excuses, but I can tell you that from the vantage point of where I live, which is near Mobile and minutes from the bay, the future is extremely uncertain. Owning water front property is a huge risk. If you had heard anything about what happened to the people along the water in Mississippi then you would have some idea. More than 9 out of 10 affected homeowners received no insurance coverage. Most had been paying these premiums for over 20yrs and were in a sense given the finger and told to see your great grandkids in court. Mind you these same insurance companies took many billions in profit this last year. We all know how the story goes. The saddest part is that there are actual people affected in real ways. All that needed be done was to pay the customer and deny further coverage. I guarantee that would have been the least painful for all parites. Instead, the toll wll be paid by the taxpayer and neighbor and samaritan.

Take a ride along the coastline, you'll find plenty for sale. The last bubble we had here along the beach was recent. Old even boring condos were going for a million dollars. After the panic, people may have (I have no confirmed reporting or evidence) realized that they could keep their millions of dollars and just rent the box when in town. At an averaged 600 a week for a condo, a million would last thirty years. Not to mention that a million would make you a million in thirty years. Nevertheless, condos are still being built like wildfire, locals are being evicted due to the conversion from residential to commercial and the fact that your friendly neighborhood insurance carrier parties while you drown. On and on....

Lest we forget that the waters are rising for at least the next hundred years guaranteed. If we halt CO2 tomorrow, calendar yourself in for about year 2112 for a piece of beachfront prop. Im guessing 50 to 80 feet higher than the current sea level. So New Orleans as we knew it will become Old Orleans soon..

Definately more serious than one would think. Follow some of these links, too many to list..

scotcox

I have a different view on construction workers in New Orleans. I feel we should bring several crews of dynamite experts and place them on the levies. The ocean wants it back and you know it is going to win so lets help it a little.

Why are we tax payers rebuilding their shacks with nice new houses (for them to trash) when if a guy in western Kansas has his house blown down, he gets nothing. I believe that's why we have insurance.

Reply to
Glenn

Reply to
HockeyFan

don't you know there's no place for common sense?

Reply to
bill allemann

Amen Brother. I wonder why they don't just give them all pontoon boats. Then each time it happens, you just have to stay at home. No problem.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Not in New Orleans. That's for sure.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Given how irrational the rest of the post is, why is that odd?

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF

If the ice caps melted completely, sea level would rise about 10-12 feet. As it is, the ice packs are getting thicker (think of why you should not overfill an ice cube tray before putting it in the freezer).

Reply to
Matt Barrow

There's tons of misinformation on this subject on CNN, the broadcast networks, NY Times, etc, and unfortunately a lot of people believe it. I think it's their way of moving the public toward the idea of a Kyoto agreement, which is nothing more than a punishment of the US (China, Brazil, India are exempted!!!). Punishing the US is very popular these days in those media outlets.

Reply to
bill allemann

I'm assuming you meant what you wrote? In addition to the above nonsense, the entirety of my original post is irrational.? Perhaps you could clear up your definition of the word "rational", or help me understand where I am being ignorant.

THX Scott

Reply to
scotcox

It's not non-sense, it's dead on.

You're basis is totally screwed up, more given to rhetoric than data.

Hint: irrational = no ratio.

Take it from there.

Reply to
Matt Barrow

Matt Barrow wrote:

Either you changed your name, or are in tandem with a fellow.. Could you give an example plz?

Are you saying that their is no virtual guarantee of another hurricane type of disaster for New Orleans? That statement couldnt be considered "dead on"? The oil industry and related equipment has been abandoned and not fixed? It is not a poor area? The elite care deeply about those people? These areas havent been widely abandoned? These couldnt be considered excuses? Me living minutes from the water and having many beach front houses and land in the immediate family (one needing a new entry door, cant forget) and been through every hurricane the last 11 years and lost houses wouldnt have any uncertainty? Less than 9 out of 10 affected in MS received insurance coverage? Most paying less than 20 years? Insurance companies didn't take billions last year? Actual people werent affected? Taxpayer and samaritan arent going to bear these costs? You wont find plenty of coast for sale? The last bubble wasnt recent? Old boring condos not a million? People flipping condos over and over and selling out before construction not considered panic? Yearly condo cost average not about $600? That wouldnt last 30 years? Interest and investment of a mil couldnt result in another mil in 30 yrs? Condos round here arent being built like wildfire? Locals are sticking around? Commercial not taking its place? Your friendly neighborhood insurance carrier is having a real bad time with its billions that it didnt make because they spent it on the poor homeless folks they love that havent been paying them for 20 yrs?

Oh, and we all know the last one.. Not happening and never will!!

Uncertainly less trivial than all wouldnt think

I suppose if I have all that confused I shouldnt be the one to have replied to the original subject. Perhaps you have a more insider line on the whole event.

Reply to
scotcox

Well, that shouldn't be too hard.

FYI - Insurance policies have words like "Exclusions" and sometimes that word is followed by words like "water" or "wind". If the "9 out of 10" had actually read their policies instead of bragging about what a great deal they got, they would be holding a check from the insurance company instead of whining to some left-wing journalist on a grossly distorted hit piece about how the "evil insurance companies are giving them the finger".

Personally I think it's great when insurance companies and FEMA deny claims. People like you seem to think there is some sort of fairy land where money just falls from the trees. There is no such thing as "insurance money" or "FEMA money". It's *MY* frickin' money. Long before Katrina hit I reached my level of tolerance for my bank account being raided through increased property insurance premiums and increased taxes to pay for jackasses who

*voluntarily choose* to live in structurally inadequate homes in flood or hurricane prone areas. Don't know how much of my insurance premium goes to cover claims from floods and hurricanes but I wouldn't be surprised if it's at least 60%.

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF