Raising level of deck

My deck has a ledger board lagged into the band joist of the house. I am going to build another deck to put a 3 season porch on top of it. I would like the level of the new deck to be the same level as the door, which is about 10 inches from the top of the existing ledger. . In this scenario, is the level of the deck raised? Do you build a frame on top of the existing deck frame? I think I need to have the deck lagged into the house because of the 3-season porch, but not sure. How do you guys do this?? . Thanks for your time. (x-posted on alt.home.repair)

How many seasons the porch is utilized is immaterial. A distraction.
The surface of the top of the porch decking should be just below the bottom of the door frame access.
You can tongue out the bottom of the joists for the new porch to the unknown sized ledger board, OR, you can rip out the ledger board, and put it at proper height using the right sized lumber.
"Lagging" is a new term for me. It was used in the U.S. Navy in reference to sealing the equivalent to joints in sheetrock. Can you provide education to this civilian term in your reference?
Dave

By "lagging", I think he means fastening the ledger with lag bolts. To do it right, I would suggest pulling the old off and raising the new as Dave says. Also, you need to consider whether the existing deck footings can support the load of a roof.
Thank you for your responses. . Are you saying the ledger board does not have to be connected to the band joist of the house? . I understand about the load of the roof. This will be taken care of by adding concrete piers and more support beams.

Well, it sure won't hurt anything to lag the new ledger (by the way, there are better options to the old fashioned hex head lags--Home Depot sells a lag that drives with a power drill, and there are also ledgerlocks, for example). However, if the deck below is fastened to the house, and the deck above is fastened to the deck below, you should be OK. By the way, are you pulling a permit for this? If so, your city building department will have something to say.

Banging my head on the desk. He meant lag bolt, not lagging.
Might interject here if using treated lumber for the ledger, use stainless steel screws instead. Treated lumber will eat zinc coated lag bolts. Dave
ok umm first how is the deck ledger attached to the rim joist of the first floor and still 10" below the height of the door.
I dont get that Rim joists are 2x10 or 2x12 but he must have a 2x18inch high rim joist
I have seen 2x10 ledgers on a 2x12 rim joist and the 5/4 decking comes up a little low because they aligned it with the bottom and not the top so its low by about a half inch but not 10 inches heh
anyway if you are using pressure treated especially the new quat type you want to use Hot Dipped Galvanized half inch Carriage bolts with lock washers and nuts on the inside of the house and the round head on the outside of the house and you put them every 16 inches in the center of where your floor joists are inside the basement.
Lag bolting is not good practice because they come lose and as said plated wont work you need Hot Dipped
also bolt your beams to your posts dont just use lags or nails if you are not going to use a hanger of some type.
and when you use hangers buy hanger nails dont just buy regular brights or plated and expect them to last more then 3 years

Thanks Marson. You are probably right. I prefer to hear from the OP on what he/she means by "lagging". Based on his/her subsequent question, I wouldn't be surprised if it means something else though. Dave