Raising a floor

I have a den off of my kitchen that was built by enclosing the patio that was there. The entire home is on a slab but this den is about 2 inches lower than the adjoining room. I'm thinking I can put down a vapor barrier, 2x3's and then a subfloor. My question, if I have the basics right so far, is how much should the 2x3's be spaced and should they be fastened to the slab below or build a frame around the room and just fasten to that? Thanks for any input as I consider tackling this one.

Reply to
jims

There sure are lots of issues here.

Don't talk about 2x3's, it makes you sound totally non conversant in construction matters. There is no such thing - but there are

2x4's.

Are you sure the addition has a footing? If it does not, it is not code compliant.

If the room in question is just sitting on an old patio (we hope not), the patio was probably poured with "fall". Exterior concrete is not poured level, it is meant to shed water, hopefully, away from the house.

If you are placing lumber of any type against the ground or concrete, make sure you use pressure treated materials, even with the vapor barrier as it will be violated when you fasten the lumber down. You could attempt a floating frame, but I don't think you would like it and it would rub through the vapor barrier anyway.

If you lay the sleepers flat, they will be out of level just like the patio. If you stand them on edge, they can be custom cut to provide a flat floor. Remember you need 1 1/8" for decking if you want to get rid of most of the bounce although single layer 3/4" might prove adequate depending on size of room and span of material. This becomes a major issue if you intend to use ceramic flooring of any type.

I'm sure you have more questions now. Just don't call them 2x3's and you may get some better answers. ___________________________ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

Reply to
DanG

you are very wrong on this issue, it might be regional thing. people in Indiana thought I was retarded when I tried to buy 1 x 5s. they are perfect for trimming openings in 2 x 4 walls with 1/2 sheetrock on both sides.... "nope, they don't make em." hmmm i could have sworn i used them al lthe time for about 5 years on the east coast.

Reply to
longshot

It may be regional, as I have always been west of the Mississippi.

I might have sold you jamb stock milled at 4 1/2 or 4 5/8, but I would have sold you 1x4, 1x6, 1x8. I've been at this for over 40 years now, but I can always learn something new. ___________________________ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

Reply to
DanG

If you don't think there is a 2x3 apparently you haven't been to the lumber yard in a few decades eh?

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

My exterior walls are built with 2x4 studs. All my interior walls are built with 2x3's. The home was built in the 50's. Every lumber yard I've been to in NJ sells 2x3's -- I built a shed with 2x3's a couple years ago.

Reply to
Jimsimm

[...]

Hang on Dan. Home Depot sells'em. It's a standard item.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Why not pour the floor higher?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I'd just go with a frame around the room with say a few concrete nails (they come in a package with a concrete drill bit ... I used then to secure 2x3s .. yes, 2x3s ... to my basement walls to insulate) here and there ... well ok ... maybe every 2' or so. As to spacing, whatever the code is for floor joists (18") would be appropriate ... but the closer they are together, the less spring in your floor. If the floor is 2" lower, you'll have to trim those 2x3s so why not use 2 - 1x2s which are actually 3/4" which gives 1 1/2" allowing for 1/2 plywood subfloor adding up to 2" ... or not :-) About the vapor barrier ... it gets cold up here so the vapor barrier nstalls on the warm side ... which would be under the subfloor rather than on slab ... but whatever's the norm where you are.

Reply to
bowgus

Mea Culpa.

I went to the Southern Pine Association site that lists standard products:

I was shocked to see some of the sizes that are listed as standard. I don't spend much time at the Borg stores, but I am quite conversant at "real" lumber yards. I will need to ask about the price and availability of 2 1/2 x 18 planks or 3/8 x 4 finish lumber. I am curious. If the stuff is readily available, I've been missing out on some good stuff.

I am sorry for any mis-statements I made earlier, I was speaking the truth as I know it. I have now found that there can be 2x3's and 1x5's - I've just never seen them. I really oughta get out a little more. ___________________________ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

Reply to
DanG

No biggie, Dan. If you live long enough, say a couple of hundred years, you'll probably have seen everything...as long as they don't invent any more stuff!

RicodJour

Dan, it is available. It is really a commercial item in that we have always been able to get 1x3 and 2x3 for furring strips. We use the furring for block walls, attaching to bar joists for ceilings, etc. I have not seen it much in residential until just the past few years.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Ooops ... 16" ... that's what happens when you mix mescaline and acid

Reply to
bowgus