Radiant Floor Heating Question (boiler vs water heater)

I am wrong , wake up and show me an EF rating, the one they dont publish, the one that IS unit efficency. They dont show it because it is not good and will loose customers.

Reply to
ransley

:

s R

nd?- Hide quoted text -

You mean you went with an 82% unit, right. My installer tried to talk me out of condensing, in fact 90% still do. They key is to get what works. Condensing furnaces have been a non problem issue for at least

10-15 years, condensing boilers at least 6 years, condensing Oil boilers are new, but furnaces have been out a long time, its up to you to learn facts. Bottom line condensing have a minimum savings of 12%, no honest study that reflects true energy price increases and future trends will show non condensing best.
Reply to
ransley

No, I went with a Lennox Elite that is ~92% AFUE rather than the top of the line ~95% unit. Both are condensing designs. The difference is that mine has a single speed blower motor and, I believe, a two-stage gas valve. I haven't checked the specs lately, but at this time (8 years ago) the top of the line Lennox had a variable speed blower motor and a variable flow gas valve. Word was that both were causing problems at the time (again, 2000 era).

Reply to
Voyager

Big $$$. I wouldn't buy one.

Reply to
Voyager

I'd have to have loose customers. :-)

Reply to
Voyager

Yes, it would be bad to have loose customers. The tight ones are much better, but they don't spend as much money.

Reply to
Voyager

Yes the GE VSDC motor was an issue and still might be, even with a redesign by moving the electronic to keep them cooler, I have a Lennox like yours at a location its a good unit and efficent. If you get VSDC the 10 yr warranty is necessary.

Reply to
ransley

Maybe if they knew and had options you would get more customers, few are aware of the truth with water heaters

Reply to
ransley

.

That's pretty easy when your entire country is the size of some of our states. Besides we have a reputation as consumers of 25% of the worlds energy to hold up over here on our side of the pond.

My hot tub is electric so that 100% efficiency but the insulation is probably only r6 or so I'd guess.

Reply to
JamesGangNC

I figured at a lost of only 2% AFUE, it was worth it to avoid the problems and stay with the slightly less efficient, yet apparently vastly more reliable model.

Reply to
Voyager

Well, I don't sell anything so it is of no concern. :-)

Reply to
Voyager

Example:

>> The oil boiler I have is 92-93% efficient...
>> but there are different ways to calculate efficiency. This explains how to

>> How do running costs compare for electric, gas, oil in the USA? We have a

It is 100% efficient at the point of use, but when you factor in generation and transmission losses, electric power isn't always such a good deal. Even though, as an EE, I'm partial to electricity the is that it isn't always the best solution when total system efficiency is considered.

Reply to
Voyager

I was looking at vsdc when I put mine in, luckily I didnt do it either, but you say yours is 2 stage gas, so your blower is 2 speed, and you must have the 2 stage stat, right, the blower must go go high on high fire or the furnace exchanger overheats and its life is being shortened alot. Listen for the blower kicking on high , Mine is set for maybe 2-3f for when high fire is called for, you should get a probe thermometer like a meat thermometer and insert it at the top of the furnace to check the temp output, there is a specified range and exceeding it really shortens the life of the aluminum heat exchanger, I found my tech never checked mine and I was over the limit so I lowered gas input. I think I have the same model as you and have a 2 stage thermostat. One thing that will fail is the heat exchanger its aluminum or steel, not Stainless steel and I have heard they are failing, keeping temp in the low recommended range will increase its life alot.

Reply to
ransley

Ok whats the lie... And you are a Pro ! Lets see what you really know.

Reply to
ransley

Sadly no longer. We became a net importer of oil in 2005...

It's not on that graph but we've also been importing natural gas. Whole of europe is now dependant on Russia for natural gas. Something like 25% of the natural gas burnt in Europe now comes from Russia. So much for energy security.

Reply to
Cwatters

The real point is Englands climate is more mild than the US, there are areas here that people spend a major amount of their income heating in winter, but in the US heating companies sell and would rather instal

83% sytems, here is where they should be banned, many still buy them today in new construction, and use the saved money for a hot tub. We dont have an energy saving policy here.
Reply to
ransley