Radiant Floor Heating Question (boiler vs water heater)

Page 2 of 2

I am wrong , wake up and show me an EF rating, the one they dont publish, the one that IS unit efficency. They dont show it because it is not good and will loose customers.
ransley wrote:

I'd have to have loose customers. :-)
ransley wrote:

Yes, it would be bad to have loose customers. The tight ones are much better, but they don't spend as much money.

Maybe if they knew and had options you would get more customers, few are aware of the truth with water heaters
ransley wrote:

Well, I don't sell anything so it is of no concern. :-)
Art wrote:

Big $$$. I wouldn't buy one.

Ok whats the lie... And you are a Pro ! Lets see what you really know.

"In tank" electric heating elements are 100% efficient. Where else does the energy go if not into heat? Most are pretty quiet.
Sorry if anything has been lost in translation (I'm English).
Cwatters wrote:

He did qualify it as being "fossil fuel" powered and electricity may come from hydro or nuclear and thus not be fossil fuel. However, I provided a link to a fossil fuel unit that was still well above 90% efficient.

Learn about Certified, EF Tank ratings, from the Government at www.energystar.gov EF is how a tank is rated, AFUE is a boiler rating, SEER is AC. That "well above 90% efficent Polaris" I bet is near 83-85% EF as is my Condensing $2000.00 AoSmith. Look at AoSmith, Cyclone and Vertex line, the same top end stuff as Polaris. My last Ao lasted near 20 years in commercial heavy use, AoSmith is a top commercial manufacturer. To heat a house even more efficently, get a domestic water heater built to it, or use a Condensing 93 % 93EF ! Takagi Ng tankless. And then there are more options.
On Dec 2, 2:40pm, "Cwatters"

Thats electric, and it really 99-100% efficent, OP is talking Gas.
On Dec 2, 2:40 pm, "Cwatters"

Ah thanks. We would call them Boilers or central heating boilers.
Since April 2005 all gas boilers in the UK have been condensing types. Non condensing types can only be about 88% efficient but condensing types can be 90+% efficient..
Example: http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/installer/products/gas-fired-boilers-and-systems
The oil boiler I have is 92-93% efficient... http://www.grantuk.com/product/28
but there are different ways to calculate efficiency. This explains how to get a headline rate of 102% ... http://www.blesi-evans.com/102%20percent%20efficiency.pdf
How do running costs compare for electric, gas, oil in the USA? We have a comparison site here... http://www.nottenergy.com/energy-costs-comparison3
For what it's worth it assumes 90% efficiency for a gas boiler.
On Dec 3, 10:41am, "Cwatters"

England an energy Exporter has had the foresight to mandate condensing heat units, here in the dumb ol USA 83% efficent is still pushed because installers like the "easy" instal and idiot homeowners are to dumb to do the math, its a joke, we import oil and we allow 83% efficent heat. Water heater tanks are just one reason we as a nation use a majority of the world energy by % of population. Its a fact, in new construction a hot tub is more common than a high efficency heat plant.

.
That's pretty easy when your entire country is the size of some of our states. Besides we have a reputation as consumers of 25% of the worlds energy to hold up over here on our side of the pond.
My hot tub is electric so that 100% efficiency but the insulation is probably only r6 or so I'd guess.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It is 100% efficient at the point of use, but when you factor in generation and transmission losses, electric power isn't always such a good deal. Even though, as an EE, I'm partial to electricity the is that it isn't always the best solution when total system efficiency is considered.

Sadly no longer. We became a net importer of oil in 2005...
http://www.theoildrum.com/files/UK_oil_imp_exp.png
It's not on that graph but we've also been importing natural gas. Whole of europe is now dependant on Russia for natural gas. Something like 25% of the natural gas burnt in Europe now comes from Russia. So much for energy security.
On Dec 7, 8:34am, "Cwatters"

The real point is Englands climate is more mild than the US, there are areas here that people spend a major amount of their income heating in winter, but in the US heating companies sell and would rather instal 83% sytems, here is where they should be banned, many still buy them today in new construction, and use the saved money for a hot tub. We dont have an energy saving policy here.