Race you to the top

Page 2 of 2

Could. But that would mean that you'd have to have every building have at least one, they'd need to be annual inspections, they'd take up space and most all of them would never ever get used, etc. Makes more sense to have the people that use them bring them.

Agreed except, we already have megabucks in fire escapes, fire proof doors, extinguishers etc. (you fella's know better than I, that list). Rico since it's your thread, you may have had a reason to think the electric pulley thing to be a good tool. The cost of these deployable ropes, would be about 1% of the total of the fire proofing.
Depends on how high a fire truck ladder reachs. Ken
Ken S. Tucker wrote:

Rope is what you use to tie down the crap you pile on your car coming back from the big box store. Lines are what sailors and climbers use. Sailors pee in the head, climbers pee _on_ your head. See the difference?
Since it's my thread, and I have power of life and death over all that tread this thread, I hereby direct you to develop your idea. I would think some type of modular box with explosive bolts...okay, maybe not explosive bolts, but at least remote control deployment. Fire fighter on the ground, hit the DEPLOY button and watch the _line_ unreel down the side of the building.
Now. You've got the line, what do you do with it? Is it a static line or does it incorporate the climbing device as well?

Just have robots do all of it while everyone else drinks beer. Fembots would be even better!

A Workers' Paradise!
"Secretia Green"> wrote

Wif big, pointy, chrome titties designed by Julie Bell.

No prob, is today to soon?

The fire department could have the climbers.. This is post 9/11 skyscaper architecture theory. Likely I could get a reliable product for $10k installed, ok, and you have 10 of them, so that's $100k added to a $billion dollar skyscraper. ((I'm still hearing that horrible thumping sound from people jumping out of the WTC.))
The US is in an indefinite war status, so that device would thwart the attacks by providing security, by an alternative access and escape.
Think about those deployable ladders that one can roll out from a second or third (or more) story building window, they make good sense to me. Ken
"Ken S. Tucker"> wrote

Take a 6' x 2' x 1' Latex bag and fill it with 10 gallons of water and a bunch of sticks and rocks then drop it from 1000'. When it hits the ground I don't think the sound would be a thump. More like splat.
"RicodJour"> wrote

For some reason when you first mentioned this thing that old web joke about the guy with the barrel of bricks came to mind........
"RicodJour"> wrote

All the workers should be wearing swiss seats with the contraption on the front, then they could just walk up to the cable, hook-up, hit the button and, whoooosh........
Personally, I think an anti-gravity device would have much more benefit.

roofs, usually a counterweighted system on wheels or tracks that has davit (like used for lifeboats) type hangers that are swung outboard and support a hung scaffold. The whole thing is controlled from the scaffold. It can be driven to a storage location on the roof. I've only installed one about 17 years ago on a 14 story building, but a similar one is used here on a 60 story building. As I remember the one we installed went for over $100,000. This gadget would be a lot cheaper, but I prefer a scaffold to a boson's chair. EDS
Finally, a motorized sky hook. Imagine the architectural design possiblities.