questions to ask about pool replaster

I am currently in the process of having a deck built, and feeling screwed by the contractor adding all kinds of expenses for "unanticipated" problems (He charged me extra for flashing which everyone I have asked has told me is standard construction technique, and two extra hours labor for "inspecting" the wood). I am now planning to get my pool and attached spa replastered, and have the tile redone, and have the cool deck (sp?) painted with "restorer." He will also replace the pool ladder, light.

What questions should I be asking (assuming his references are good) about the job. I know that he says he will sandblast but do all sandblasts go down to the concrete, or only part way down. I really am

ignorant about this (just I was ignorant about the deck) , but I guess I need to be educated to know what properly should be done for this job

in case the contractor tries to tell me something is "extra." Do most contractors charge a set fee for such a job, and are there any conditions which reasonably could cause "unanticipated" extra expenses

(The pool has NO cracks whatsoever). What shortcuts would contractors attempt that I should be on the lookout for. He gave me a bid of $11,200 for my 20K gallon pool, and it was similar (next to the low bid) to other bids for the same work. He did have a good reference from a trusted contractor.

My existing cool deck has some limited areas which are cracked, and have come off from the concrete slab. Also, some of the concrete slab was jack hammered up for construction of the deck. How should this be taken care of, since I assume that either new cool deck or more concrete must be poured to make the pool deck surface uniform.

Reply to
orangele2003

He did have a good reference

IF YOU DON'T TRUST THE GUY DON'T HIRE HIM. What makes you think he is a crook, because he is a contractor ? Why would a guy that gave you a good price try to cheat you ? If he runs into some unforeseen problems, should he fix them for free ?

You say he has references and was recommended by a trusted contractor, so why look for problems ? I think you are likely to cause your own problems and then you can say it was because the guy was cheating you. That way you end up being right..... again .... from your posted experiences it wont be the first or last time.

kickstart

Reply to
Kickstart

1) I did not say that all contractors are crooks, nor did I imply that. 2) Who said that he gave me a good price? 3) Is putting flashing on a deck an unanticipated step in construction of a deck? Indeed I posted this question on decks.com and the professional deck-building moderator did indeed believe that this is a standard step in deck construction. Two other local contractors also agreed that putting flashing on the deck was standard. Finally, when I went out and looked at the other deck on my house, it too had flashing, which was not charged as an "extra." 4) Finally I have paid every cent the contractor billed for "extras" even though from what I can determine, such extras should not be charged as extras.

Thank you

Reply to
orangele2003