question about wall insulation

hi,

when constructing the room in my basement, the contractor put mineal wool (white, not pink) between the wooden studs and then covered with with a vapor barrier. LATER on he was placing quiet a few pieces of 2x3 (perpendicular to the studs) - as I needed some for later being able to screw things to the l for my specific use) but because of that in many places the wool touches the cement of the wall. Is that a concern or should I take out the wool and cut it out so that the wood doesnt push it into the wall? (i've read somewhere that it traps humidity and when touching the cement, it could lead to mold growth) ??

thanks in advance

Reply to
greg

(white, not pink) between the wooden studs and then covered with with a vapor barrier. LATER on he was placing quiet a few pieces of 2x3 (perpendicular to the studs) - as I needed some for later being able to screw things to the l for my specific use) but because of that in many places the wool touches the cement of the wall. Is that a concern or should I take out the wool and cut it out so that the wood doesnt push it into the wall? (i've read somewhere that it traps humidity and when touching the cement, it could lead to mold growth) ??

I'm not a big fan of using fiberglass batt insulation in exterior basement walls. The fiberglass can trap moisture that condenses and that leads to mold growth. If you have a dry basement - the foundation walls are waterproofed, there's a good perimeter drainage system and you don't dump a lot of moisture into the basement air - you'll probably be okay. My first choice would have been foam insulation - either sprayed or rigid insulation sheets. The interior of the foundation walls should also have been sealed with something like Thoroseal or UGL Drylock.

The fiberglass won't really wick up moisture from the walls. It's more of a case of moisture laden warm air passing through and around the basement walls and condensing in the fiberglass, or of ground water from the outside seeping through the wall and not being able to dry out to the interior.

RicodJour