Question about plumber's responsibility for a leak that didn't show up right away

Page 2 of 2

I know a couple of contractors that would just get on with life and accept responsibility for their past error. In this case if they do bill, I'd negotiate something as they did cause the problem and were not able to implement the fix. They may be just happy to be out of there.
In the past year we moved our manufacturing operation to a different building. Total outside contracting was over $2 million. Some worked to a quote with purchase order, others were time and materials. I can think of only two that had written contracts. None screwed us out of a penny or did not finish their job. When you have a good tradesman, hold on to him.

You are. No written contract means no warranty.
Even with a contract, would the plumber warranty their work for four years? That's an awful long time.

There is no way to PROVE that the problem stems from the original install.
You said it was an honest mistake from an otherwise good plumber. To keep the peace, and still be able to call on this plumber in the future, I would pay him his bill, pay the repair costs because of the lack of a contract and warranty, and move on with life.