Question about extending posts for roof over deck

Hello,
I'm debating adding a roof to my outside deck. The exisiting deck is only a year old and and is overbuilt when it comes to code. I have a perimeter of 6x6s and 6x6s underneath the deck area as support with concrete footers under all posts. I hae double and triple banded 2X10s along the perimeter as well. I originally was going to put a massive hot tub on it but changed my mind (maintainance).
The 6x6s come up to the railing height of the deck. Is it possible (or safe) to extend the 6X6s another 4 or 5 feet so I can build a roof extending from the side of the house? I didn't know if this is an acceptable practice or not. Would I use some type of metal fasteners and dowels to accomplish this, or am I barking up the wrong tree? Any thoughts or advice? I would certainly appreciate it.
Steve
In a previous post snipped-for-privacy@rnr-tech.com wrote...

It's probably possible with a bunch of custom made steel hardware, but I doubt if there is any "off-the-shelf" stuff that could be made to work.
The connection must be made to allow for wind, seismic and roof live loads (usually snow). I suggest hiring a local engineer to design a connection.
BTW, this will also require a building permit.
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Bob Morrison wrote:

In a previous post snipped-for-privacy@rnr-tech.com wrote...

Steve:
I suppose it would be possible to sister on some 2x4's each side and set a piece of 6x6 on top of the existing 6x6. The length of "sister" and number of fasteners will depend on your location.
I will repeat my earlier statement that since this is structural change it will require a building permit. It will be a lot easier to get a permit now than to have to do so retroactively.
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co