Question about a Well?

I know it is not a construction question but, I recently replaced my deep submersible pump in an 82 ft. deep well. The pump was not running and air is coming out of the top of the well in a small hole in the metal cap that seals the 10" pvc pipe casing that goes down the well. It is like a small jet or stream of air........the plumber who works on wells could not figure it. No pump running, no water being drawn, no real water being added either other than what comes in naturally. I assume it is at a level in the well and so that there is no rise..... The well also has about a 3" diam. 'p" garavel around the pvc...... I am stumped.... john

Reply to
jloomis

Convection? Is the air down the well a lot warmer than the air at the top?

Reply to
Cwatters

Reply to
jloomis

So the pump shut off, and then you have air coming out the 'vent' (or whatever that hole is)? OK, so pump shuts off, water level rises, displacing air which vents. DOes that make sense?

Remember, a well can have, at the bottom, at a rather high flow rate...

That's my take on it--bet it has been happening all along, but you never noticed it...

(OK, above is somewhat a guess, but I've seen wells fill up fast enough that that could happen...)

Reply to
PeterD

I thought that were the case....Trouble is, pump was off for some time.......and the recovery is very quick. So, the air is coming out, even after the well is recovered? It is a real mystery. I may call a Geologist to see if he can make sense out of it. See, if the well is full......and the air still comes? We thought maybe water / air was traveling with the water from higher up and having a release at the opening of my well? the plumber said could it be natural gas? Never had seen that before either.......I may take a sample and ignite it? (away from the well) We do not live in an oil or gas area....... Now one interesting thing.....there was a 6.5 earthquake 200 miles north.....and did we feel it here......shake rattle and roll.......sounded like a garbage truck coming up the road but it was the earthquake..........wow..... Now did this create something? I give.....sorry to bend your ear......just real curious. john

Reply to
jloomis

John,

Speak to a local Geotech. Engineer; your well casing , with the pea gravel could be passing through a higher aquifer than you think you're drawing from, that could account for the rapid recovery and air release.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Cular

Oh, do post his opinion!

Maybe you hit one of the earth's compressed air lines?

What kind of ground do you have?

OK, that's easy to test. I'd recommend shaving your eyebrows first... Matches are cheap!

Oh, maybe you hit the anti-earthquake air lines?

Now I am too... I'm going to stick to my "water level raising in the well theory" for now.

Reply to
PeterD

You might verify that the gas actually is air. I remember, vagely, someone mentioning that water wells often emit natural gas and are closed in consequence.

Hul

jloomis wrote:

Reply to
dbr

Reply to
jloomis

You might log the presence or absence of the air every few hours for a day or two in hope of seeing a pattern. If it's steady, throw away the pump and let the air bubble your water up from below...

Hul

jloomis wrote:

Reply to
dbr