Proper grounding of 220 and 110 outlets

My landlord (of a barn I rent) added a 220 and a 110 circuit for me. He ran one conduit from the panel to a j-Box. In the 4-gang box he added a 220 plug of the type I requested. I can see two hots and a ground wire all connected to the plug. No ground to the box.

There is also a black and white wire wire-nutted off that he tells me is my 110 circuit. I want to pull armor cable or romex from that j-box to a 4 gang 110 outlet, then to switch some lights, etc.

Questions:

  1. Should the 220 plug be grounded by pigtail to the box also?
  2. How do I properly ground the romex or armor cable I pull from this box for the 110 circuit? - I though maybe ground to the box but was told I need a ground back to the panel - Do I pigtail from the ground on the 220 plug?
  3. If I add some conduit and a second 220 plug in another box do I just run the three wires to the new outlet with no ground wire pigtailed to the boxes?
  4. Will I die and should I hire an electrician?
Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I would recommend to check NEC code for grounding section. it should give you some instructions. if you are not sure by yourself, always ask Electrian for help. If you can not find proper page from NEC code, I can help you with that

Jay Zhu, P.E

Reply to
Jay Zhu

You should do NOTHING, it is not your building to modify. To change the wiring could result in legal action against you should there ever be a problem, and likely eviction with damaged if discovered.

Have the landlord make the changes.

Reply to
PeterD

I'm guessing the owner of your building (barn) is probably old and not totally up on changes to code or maybe even old code.

This is what he should have pulled for the two circuits

220 2 hots (black, red), 1 neutral (white), a ground (green) 110 1 hot (color), 1 neutral, a ground (I'd probably share the 220 circuit's ground)

I'd probably install a multi-circuit sub panel via a 4 wire feed & local ground rod but I digress ..........

With the arrangement noted above you're all set up to use: old school tools 3 wire (2 hots & ground) newer style 4 wire (2 hots, neutral & ground)

A few questions

So the wires for the 220 circuit are 2 colored & 1 green?

e panel

Reply to
DD_BobK

I prefer Square D QO style panels & breaker but for a barn & for $40 their "Homeline" brand is probably good enough.

Reply to
DD_BobK

I used a Homeline in my garage/shop (detached) and 'love it.' Absolutely a great solution for a minimum investment.

Reply to
PeterD

Sounds like improper wiring. I would think that you need for the 220 a black and a red and a white and a ground. for the 110 circuit you should have a black and a white and a ground. this should come from the main panel. john

[...]

jloomis

Only one ground wire is needed in the conduit. Should be sized for the lager circuit.

If box is metal, a pigtail is needed to ground it.

connect all grounds together. pintails from the box and each outlet plus incoming wire and out going wire.

Use MC cable to run your 110V circuit. Romex only allowed in residential inside finished walls. Or you could run EMT and pull THHN wires. or even plastic conduit.

Second 220 outlet, run 3 wires BK/R/G ground gets connected to box and outlet.

I always run a ground wire even if not required. Metal conduit just cannot be trusted. Joints come loose or get corroded.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333