Progress so far......

Both levels of ICF walls are up. Sub floor is in next step is the roof. I intend to ring the top of the ICF walls with a 6x12 timber to transistion to wood. I have a front and rear span of 22 ft that will have posts supporting this timber. Timber will be epoxyed or red headed into concrete. I'm thinking of insetting the timber 3" to the inside for revel. ICF Blocks are 11" but 2.5" is outside foam so no structural meaning. House is 40x48 and will have simple gabled roof 4-12 pitch. How do I figure out my roof sq ft? Figure adding on a 2' overhang.
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 07:16:00 -0800 (PST), Raider Bill

Roof area, try:
http://www.construction-resource.com/calculators/roof-area.php
which may help you.

Thanks. Says 2196 sqft seems small but then I have no idea anyway so this gets me closer for ordering the 4ply when it's time. Just a side comment, I priced 12" x 3/4 wedge bolts to attach my header timber was told $30.00 each! YIKES!
I just got a quoute on heavy timber trusses from a local company, $97.00 per ft! That's over $20k just to keep the roof up. Scissor trusses are $54.00 each and monos for the side $32.00 each. Looks like I am going with scissors.

The plan area of the roof is 44 x 52 due to the 2' overhangs. The hypoteneuse of a 4-12 triangle is sqrt(4*4 + 12*12) = 12.649. So the roof area is (12.649/12) times as big as the plan area. This makes (12.649/12) * 44 * 52 = 2412 square feet.
However, if you are ordering 4' x 8' plywood, then you want to know a little bit more. Assuming the ridge runs the 52' direction, each side of the roof is 52' by 22 * (12.649/12) = 52' by 23.19'. So you'll need 6 rows of plywood on each side (23.19 / 4, rounded up). Each row will require 6.5 sheets (52/8, rounded up to nearest half). So you'll need 2 * 6 * 6.5 = 78 sheets.
Cheers, Wayne

Thats guys. I slept through my math classes in school. Now I pay the price.
Ridge line will run the 40 feet

So now that we have that answered, tell us what is the purpose of a 6x12 timber?

6x12 is the header that transitions from ICF to the wood. It will give me a heavy timber look inside. I suspect it's heavier than I think. I've got 2 22 ft spans that will be one timber supported twice in the center with 6x12 on end. No way to upload a pix to show you but will send email with address.

So it's cosmetic then? I'm just curious--sounds like a lot of work. I had to pour a 4x12 ledger into the top of an ICF foundation once. That wasn't exactly fun, though I guess I got through it.

No not cosmetic well not completely it is what my trusses will attach to. In the end I will see this timber but it's main reason is structural.

That's what I would call hell for stout.

Well I could probaley use a 4x12 but I tend to over build everything.