procedure about house conversion

Just purchased a single family house in NYC and plan to convert it to

2 family house. What should I do first to get work permit?
Reply to
xin Yan

Find out local zoning regulations 1st. If applicable, draw up plans and engineering and submit to building dept.

Just purchased a single family house in NYC and plan to convert it to

2 family house. What should I do first to get work permit?
Reply to
jloomis

xin Yan wrote the following:

Find out what you can, and cannot, do by checking with the building department.

Reply to
willshak

If you are sure that you can do this type of house conversion, you need to hire a Registered Architect or Professinal Engineer to file PW-1 form and other DOB required forms, this is Alteration-1 type.

I can help you with that.

Jay Zhu, P.E

Reply to
Jay Zhu

Reply to
xin Yan

xin Yan wrote the following:

Shop around for a general contractor. Get estimates. Check reliability.

Reply to
willshak

First DO NOT TOP POST... (one reads from top to bottom, so top posting puts the cart before the horse!)

Now, answer to the question (so perhaps you won't think I'm a total ass hole, not that I care that much) is to first start with the town's building inspector. He/she will tell you exactly what is required or allowed. Also you may have to do a title search, some deeds have restrictions to single family residences for example, and that would trump town rules.

Reply to
PeterD

*First talk to the city zoning department to find out if your block and lot is zoned for two family or multi-family housing. Then inquire about what steps are necessary to get the house reclassified.

Consult with an architect to figure out what structural changes will need to be made. Have plans drawn to submit to the city building department for approval.

Get estimates from contractors as to the cost of the work.

Get permits for all work.

Get inspections for all work.

Reply to
John Grabowski

To make sure if this house can be converted needs to check with zoning, FAR requirement and other zoning related issues. you can check these information from zoning department's web:

hope it helps.

Jay Zhu, P.E

Reply to
Jay Zhu