Problems with three way electrical switch...HELP

I am rehabbing a house. Upstairs there are two three way switches about 15 feet apart that control two light fixtures. I have identified the two travelers. I have identified the hot wire (wire supplying 120VAC) and I have identified the wire going to the lights. So far, so good.
I have the travelers wired the same on both switches (one traveler, red, to the upper-most switch terminal and the white traveler to the middle terminal). I have the hot wire (supplying 120) to the common terminal of one switch, and the line to the lights connected to the other common termnal. But here is what happens...
If I am at one switch, I can turn it on, off, on, off, no problem, everything works fine. But if I now go to the other switch, nothing. If I am back at switch one and just turn it on, I can go to the other switch and turn it off and then that switch is the controlling switch. It is like either switch can turn the lights off if they are on and then the switch that turned them off is the only one that can turn them on again.
Any thoughts??
Thanks
Seems to be the same situation under a different subject line.
ditto the reply in the other thread.

mollymalosa had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/construction/Problems-with-three-way-electrical-switch-HELP-14422-.htm :

Hi--Did you ever get the answer to this? I have the same problem. I know a reply to your post referred to an answer in another thread, but I can't find the other thread.
Thanks.
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 14767 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Make sure the power feed into the switch is on the single black terminal on one switch, and the feed out to the light is on the single black terminal on the other switch. The travelers connect between the other two terminals on each switch.

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/construction/Problems-with-three-way-electrical-switch-HELP-14422-.htm