Problem with new house

We've got a serious problem with our new house. While visiting the job site today, I noticed the first floor seemed to be sagging in one corner of the master bedroom. I couldn't believe it. I told the foreman, and he started checking it out. He went down in the basement and I could hear him yelling to the other guys. They were down there for about a half hour, and when I went down to see what was going on they met me at the steps and told me they had to work on something, and that they'd call me later. They never called, so I went back out and confronted them in the basement. I couldn't believe what I found. It was worse than when I left. Then entire floor had caved in. They were blaming it on the architect, who was already out there, saying the beams he specified were not adequate, and the architect was blaming it on them, saying that it should have been assumed that they also needed to use certain joists, blah, blah, blah... Bottom line is that the entire mess is caving in, and the builder says he wants nothing to do with it, and he's quitting the job. What do I do now?!? Somebody please help!
- John

-- Dennis
Sasquatch wrote:

I hope you haven't paid him yet.
Sasquatch wrote:

Is this a custom design by this architect/firm, I assume? First, of all, start w/ a calm discussion of the problem with them. If they're licensed and certified, they have an obligation against poor/inadequate design and/or incomplete construction drawings/details. Find out what they propose to make it right first and when (if) that isn't satisfactory, press on. If, otoh, the builder did follow the plans and details to the letter, that's pretty much all you can expect of him and the onus will fall back on the a/e. If, however, the a/e is right that there wasn't something done that should have been (and not by relying on non-documented design details not on the drawings/plans, then he's got a problem. If, after some discussion they're both pointing to the other, you may need an independent opinion from an architect/engineer. Certainly should touch base w/ your legal counsel (you do have one of those, don't you?) to ensure you do the right things legally.
dpb wrote:

dpb, save your fingers. Squatch is a troll. Check out his posting history and in particular this same thread in alt.architecture The guy has unresolved issues.
No, I think a troll is a person that re-posts somebody else's and spoof's their username (Sasquatch with llnux4all@... instead of Sasquatch with linux4all@...) for the sole purpose of complaining about said post. That's like a split personality, dude. Yikes. Sick stuff.
RicodJour wrote:

Sasquatch wrote:

Yikes, sounds hauntingly familiar to what a friend of mine went thru with builder quitting job. She got some helpful info from http://www.hadd.com regarding what steps to take in a dipsute, to protect your own interests, and www.jlconline.com and http://www.buildingscience.com as far as sorting out who had done what wrong. I can't recall any of the other links she talked about offhand. The real problems began when the builder, who'd quit, demanded the rest of the money. Good luck.
It's typical of trolls to change their NG emails to evade the killfiling they typically get, isn't it?
John - go away. Saw your post on alt.architecture and no need to waste everyone's time on this board with your prank.
"Sasquatch" wrote

Help is just a click away!
http://tinyurl.com/8thbh

I just had to click it. lol
Yeah, that is a hilarious link--great link to send to a lover of conspiracy theories, of which there is no shortage these days.
Doesn't really apply to pranksters, though. :-) Still funny nonetheless.
- John
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Sasquatch wrote:

You misspelled wankster.
Sasquatch wrote:

After watching your lunatic posts over the last month or so I am not surprised your builder is quitting. He lasted longer than I would have.
--
Art

Sasquatch wrote:

your situation is beyond help
what goes around, comes around..................