pouring concrete over concrete

I have a solid tapering slab that I want to even up. It was designed to taper, as it is an outside sleeping porch (under the roofline thuogh) and it has a drain on one side. I want to raise it and frame it in. SO my question is this:

I'm thinking of putting down about 1 cu yd of concrete (2 inch average over 150 feet) to even it up. However, I need to taper from 3 inches to

  1. If I put down a filler layer of concrete and then self leveler, first roughing the surface and use a bonding compound, how thin can I leave the taper on the edges? One inch? two inches?

I then intend to even up the whole thing by pouring self leveler over the top. however, 1 cu yd of self leveler is way too expensive.

Any suggestions?

Andy

Reply to
andyneedles

Hire a mudjacker. They solve these problems all the time and even if you top off an existing surface you still probably need to mudjack to ensure the stability of the subsurface or it will just break up the new top. This is espeically pertinent when the existing surface is already clearly broken or significantly cracked up. Hire a mudjacker.

I have a solid tapering slab that I want to even up. It was designed

Reply to
clintonG

Yea, contact Sika.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Deckert

Several issues.

If you are going to close it in and if it is permitted, you will be pouring a footing around the exterior perimeter.

Is there a way you can raise the high side at least 1" (1 1/2 would be even better) and the outside 4" ? If so, I would be inclined to use bonding agent and pour a 3/4- concrete cap. You would have no need for self leveling material. If there are joints or cracks, they will need to be addressed in the cap slab. ___________________________ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

Reply to
DanG

That I can not answer. What I can tell you is, virtually every contractor and metal building erector I've worked for in the past 15 years has switched to Sika for products. They're much like Hilti, spendy as all get out, but the stuff doesn't fail and works as prescribed when properly installed. As

99.9% of my work is in industrial/commercial areas, the contractor can not afford to do a job twice. I'd surmise you may ask this, do you spend a grand (in theory) and do the job once or do you spend a grand (or more) and do the job twice? Time is still money.......................

Dan

Reply to
Dan Deckert