post protectors

I'm looking at putting up a pole building. I've seen a product that uses plastic protectors to cover the bottom part of the post thats in the ground.It comes up about 5 feet,so the top is protected by the inside of the building. Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing? It claims that the post can get rid of its moisture through the top.Is that just a selling ploy or does it have some merit?

Reply to
Vaughn

I don't know anything about that, however I can tell you that a properly treated pole can rest in the ground for decades, even centuries without any problems. The problem area for the pole is ground level.

Cedar poles are naturally protected, or you can get chemically treated wood. I am not sure how much I would trust a plastic sheath around the wood. How thick is it? How easily can it tear as it is a) put on, b) put in the hole, and c) earth (with rocks) is back filled around the pole? If it does tear, what protects the lumber then? The product may be very good, those are some questions I would ask before using it however.

Carolyn

Reply to
Carolyn Marenger