Portable Home Generator Questions

Not only that but they dont make any money when they have no power.

+++++++++++

It just seems like a no-brainer to me. Gasoline at gas stations is a vital commodity in a disaster and no-power situation. It could even apply in certain "homeland security" (what a joke that is) situations, so they could spend homeland security funds to help gas station owners pay for the initial generator setups.

And, the states could even impose certain no-gouging and even-distribution laws that they could put into effect in a declared emergency. They could authorize, for example, that in declared emergency situations the gas stations could charge an additional $1.00 or so per gallon as an incentive for them to stay open at least until they run out of gas, and re-open when they get more gas if the emergency still exists and the power is still out. And, the emergency regs could limit the size of the fill-up per vehicle to 5 or 10 gallons each. That would help prevent all of the gas stations at the very epicenter of the disaster from selling out all of their gas to too few people. By limiting the size of the fill-up, people would be dispersed at to a wider geographic area and could refill their tanks when they are perhaps 100 miles further away from the disaster center.

Reply to
Jay-T

Diesel beats both gas and propane/lpg/nat-gas hands down. Diesel also stores more easily, and most diesel generators run just fine on home heating fuel. Down side? Diesels are a bit noiser perhaps. Upsides? Good storage on the fuel (doesn't degrade in storage, but may require an algicide).

Safely? Hard, you need a good/proper storage tank. Consider checking Northern Tools for tanks.

How are you going to rotage 150 gallons of gas? If it is stale, you sure you want to put it in your car?

No, a gallon of propane has less energy than a gallon of gas. And a gallon of gas has less energy than a gallon of diesel.

No, but your question says you need to talk to an electrican about hookups before you kill yourself or someone else.

Probably, but I doubt you will get away with that type of a setup. I don't think any gas company will fill a tank (150 gallons) feeding a

150 ft line to a generator.

The very best one you can afford. NO cheap Chinese crap!!!

Reply to
PeterD

Duh!

The legislature in Texas passed a law recently (in light of the highway confusion occasioned by people trying to flee Hurricane Rita), that gas stations on official evacuation routes had to top off their storage tanks to at least 80% capacity. The law made no mention of emergency power to run the pumps.

I've considered getting another generator, appropriate cables and tools, and just waiting for the next emergency. I'd then toot up to the biggest gas station that was just sitting there in the dark, the owner or manager weeping, and offering to power-up his business for, oh, say $50/hour.

Reply to
HeyBub

Many states/locals do require certain key stations to have backup power. Not all stations, but some.

Reply to
PeterD

It can happen, if the engine is not allowed to fully warm up during the test runs. Diesels can also 'cold stack' if run without a load for an extended period of time. (some are more prone to doing this than others, but generally any emergency generator should be run under load when exercising it, to ensure that the entire system works properly).

Reply to
PeterD

Search google.com for the words...

"Electronics friendly" generator

(Including quotes.)

Reply to
Bill

You are rotating your stock, right? Even in brand new non-cruddy cans, it does not store real well. Pour a can in the car, go top off the car with fresh, refill the can, lather, rinse, repeat. I don't know what the specs say, but emergency gas over a year old would not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Natural gas is highly dependable in NY. A natural gas generator makes sense. Or as you say, you can use your own gasoline to power the generator.

The answer, in part. Is that the government and the anti-gouging laws. I've heard that gas stations make nearly no mark up on fuel. Which is why most of them sell coffee, candy, beer, etc. Supposing a gas station installs a generator, and has it wired in. How do they recover the cost of the generator? Well, the only way I know is to sell gasoline during a power cut. But, is that actually cost effective? I doubt it. Even if they have cars lined up, the once a year or so doesn't provide enough mark up to cover the generator. Unless they increase the price of gas during the power cut. But they "aren't allowed" to do that. So, the stations say never mind, there is no financial reason to do so.

Requiring them by force of law, to spend money on generators. Well, that sounds like more big government telling people to do what's not financially practical. If there was good financial reason to install generators, they would have done so already.

I'd rather repeal the price gouging laws, and restore some of the freedom to the "free market". If they want to install a generator and charge ten bucks a galon during power cuts, that's fine with me. Don't want to pay ten bucks a galon? Fine. Go to some other gas station that's cheaper.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If the gas stations could set their own price, I'm sure some would install generators.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Must be worth the expense of the generator, then?

Please replace the gas every year. Pour the old stuff in your car, and buy new. Gasoline does go stale.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I realize it's fun to play dictator, and dictate how the country should run. But, please remember that the free market and freedom is what made the USA great, in the past. And lack of freedom is much of USA's problems, now. Freedom, the market, profit, supply and demand. To me, that's the answer. Your "no brainer" demonstrates lack of brains. Or maybe lack of understanding how the USA used to work.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Now, that's the free market in action. Find the demand, meet the need. Charge appropriately.

You can expect the business owner to reply "Well, we've got all these expensive electronic pumps, and I don't want to risk them getting fried."

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yep, that's me -- no brains and a lack of understanding of how the USA used to work.

I am so glad that I have people like you around that can guide me and help me with that. Oops, I forgot, I have no brains, so maybe having people like you around is not a good thing. Gee, I'm so confused.

Reply to
Jay-T

I put Stabil in all my gas cans. I use the gas for the mowers and it seldom get over 5 months old. When you exercise the generator, you need to have some load on it. I use a portable heater for this purpose. You also need to let it run long enough to reach full operating temperature. After you shut it down, top off the fuel tank. don't forget to change the oil at least once a year.

Reply to
Jim Rusling

de quoted text -

He would make so much money charging extra and selling his tanks fast you could charge 500$ an hour and get it.

Reply to
ransley

Its a no brainer all righty, stormins no brainer.

Reply to
ransley

I rotate my gas stock. Works well in my tractor. I also use stabilizer.

Reply to
Chuck

Done. I rotate often.

Reply to
Chuck

That is sort of what I do. I have 3 plastic cans that hold 5 gallons each. It usually takes about 2 gallons to mow the grass, so during the mowing season I use the gas out of one can and rotate to the next one. I also use some of that gas for other small engines such as the pressure washer and chain saws. I have a seperate 1 gallon can that I use for oil/gas mix but it is filled from the larger cans. When I go to fill an empty can, I put the Sta-bil in the empty can and go to the gas station. That mixes it up while it is being filled and some on the

3 mile trip back to the house. The gas is rotated very quick in the summer and not usually over 6 months old through the non mowing months.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Wow! Rationing by fiat. Sounds like the Democrats health-care plan!

So, the gas station operator (doctor) says to himself: "I'm gonna go down to the station, through the ice/snow/flying debris, so I can put up with the maniacs, dispensing ten gallons to each and getting cussed and threatened in return, so I can make 5¢ per gallon profit?"

"Let me think..."

As an aside, it's unlikely the station will run out of fuel. Assuming the station has three 8,000 gallon storage tanks that start out full and each customer gets 20 gallons of gas, that's 1,200 customers that can get serviced. Assuming ten minutes each and five pumps, that works out to 66 hours of customer demand. If the cars can get to the station, it's likely that the tanker truck can get there too, so the station could be replinished long before the 60-odd hours expired.

Reply to
HeyBub