Portable Home Generator Questions

Page 2 of 6

HeyBub, your comments are very very helpful and informative. Many thanks !!
James

I have always wondered why states (especially those prone to hurricanes, storms, snow storms) do not require that ALL gas stations have a simple backup generator so they can pump the gas that is in their tanks. And, of course, once the generator is started they can use their own gas pumps to keep filling their generator gas tank to keep it running.
I always think how stupid it is in a natural disaster emergency that people who need to evacuate can't get gas because the gas at the gas stations is unavailable simply because the gas station doesn't have the power to pump its own gas.

Not only that but they dont make any money when they have no power.
ransley wrote:

Most stations here in South Fl. have added there own generators. They learned a lesson after the 3 big ones a few years ago. I still have 40 gals. locked in my shed.
Chuck wrote:

You are rotating your stock, right? Even in brand new non-cruddy cans, it does not store real well. Pour a can in the car, go top off the car with fresh, refill the can, lather, rinse, repeat. I don't know what the specs say, but emergency gas over a year old would not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

I rotate my gas stock. Works well in my tractor. I also use stabilizer.

That is sort of what I do. I have 3 plastic cans that hold 5 gallons each. It usually takes about 2 gallons to mow the grass, so during the mowing season I use the gas out of one can and rotate to the next one. I also use some of that gas for other small engines such as the pressure washer and chain saws. I have a seperate 1 gallon can that I use for oil/gas mix but it is filled from the larger cans. When I go to fill an empty can, I put the Sta-bil in the empty can and go to the gas station. That mixes it up while it is being filled and some on the 3 mile trip back to the house. The gas is rotated very quick in the summer and not usually over 6 months old through the non mowing months.
Must be worth the expense of the generator, then?
Please replace the gas every year. Pour the old stuff in your car, and buy new. Gasoline does go stale.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I put Stabil in all my gas cans. I use the gas for the mowers and it seldom get over 5 months old. When you exercise the generator, you need to have some load on it. I use a portable heater for this purpose. You also need to let it run long enough to reach full operating temperature. After you shut it down, top off the fuel tank. don't forget to change the oil at least once a year.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Done. I rotate often.

Not only that but they dont make any money when they have no power.
+++++++++++
It just seems like a no-brainer to me. Gasoline at gas stations is a vital commodity in a disaster and no-power situation. It could even apply in certain "homeland security" (what a joke that is) situations, so they could spend homeland security funds to help gas station owners pay for the initial generator setups.
And, the states could even impose certain no-gouging and even-distribution laws that they could put into effect in a declared emergency. They could authorize, for example, that in declared emergency situations the gas stations could charge an additional $1.00 or so per gallon as an incentive for them to stay open at least until they run out of gas, and re-open when they get more gas if the emergency still exists and the power is still out. And, the emergency regs could limit the size of the fill-up per vehicle to 5 or 10 gallons each. That would help prevent all of the gas stations at the very epicenter of the disaster from selling out all of their gas to too few people. By limiting the size of the fill-up, people would be dispersed at to a wider geographic area and could refill their tanks when they are perhaps 100 miles further away from the disaster center.
I realize it's fun to play dictator, and dictate how the country should run. But, please remember that the free market and freedom is what made the USA great, in the past. And lack of freedom is much of USA's problems, now. Freedom, the market, profit, supply and demand. To me, that's the answer. Your "no brainer" demonstrates lack of brains. Or maybe lack of understanding how the USA used to work.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

On Jan 23, 8:38am, "Stormin Mormon"

Its a no brainer all righty, stormins no brainer.
Jay-T wrote:

Wow! Rationing by fiat. Sounds like the Democrats health-care plan!
So, the gas station operator (doctor) says to himself: "I'm gonna go down to the station, through the ice/snow/flying debris, so I can put up with the maniacs, dispensing ten gallons to each and getting cussed and threatened in return, so I can make 5 per gallon profit?"
"Let me think..."
As an aside, it's unlikely the station will run out of fuel. Assuming the station has three 8,000 gallon storage tanks that start out full and each customer gets 20 gallons of gas, that's 1,200 customers that can get serviced. Assuming ten minutes each and five pumps, that works out to 66 hours of customer demand. If the cars can get to the station, it's likely that the tanker truck can get there too, so the station could be replinished long before the 60-odd hours expired.

Try doing the math again. Instead of the same 5 cents per gallon the station would ordinarily get, they would get an an additional $1.00 per gallon during the emergency in the plan I described. Three 8,000 gallon tanks equals 24,000 gallons times $1.00 per gallon extra equals $24,000 for going down there and keeping the station open with their emergency generator during the power outage. And it doesn't take 10 minutes per 10 gallon max fill-up. And, yes, the tankers can keep delivering to the gas stations so they do not need to run out of gas.
My point is simply that having 24,000 gallons of gas stored in each gas station's underground tanks that cannot be used by anyone during a natural disaster with a power outage, simply because the station doesn't have a portable generator, is silly. My plan would require all gas stations to have a backup generator, would pay part or all of the initial cost of the generator setup through emergency preparedness funds, and would enable gas stations during a declared emergency to charge more for gas during the emergency as an incentive to stay open but without overly gouging customers.

Require is a difficult thing.

Using government funds to benefit a specific group (gas station owners) is outragous.

The incentive is the same one as any business: profit and loss. No need to 'require'. No need to corrupt the public system by misspending tax dollars for a private business.
And, finally, if people were able (willing, and understood it is required) to be more prepared for emergencies things would go better. Instead people look to the government to hold their hands at the slightest provocation, and take little or no responsibility for what happens.
As we've been discussing, get a diesel generator, a 275 gallon fuel oil tank, keep the tank full, and don't worry about the gas stations. And don't worry about the neighbors--if they want to come over to watch TV, tell 'em to bring food for everyone, or just charge admission!
In Florida gas stations are required to have emergency generators!!!
Otherwise in a evacuation people will run out of gas get stranded and perhaps clog roads:( causing massive jams so others CANT get out:(
Really they should be REQUIRED nationwide.
Since we KNOW the terrorists WILL hit again!
any area may need evacuated and sadly our country is not prepared.......
Another liberal demanding that government force business to spend money. You're Un-American.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Of course we are prepared for "Man Caused Disasters". There are many lawyers available to defend the MCD suspects and the government has a large supply of prayer rugs, white robes, funny little knit hats and the latest version of The Koran,...the one with the explosives making instructions in the back. The present administration is quite prepared to take all MCD suspects into custody and give them the same rights and considerations as The American People they are sworn to maim and kill. What's the problem? The Obomination is on top of it.
TDD