Porch railing height revisited

Page 2 of 2

My browser returns the following: "An error has occurred...#-904::" when selecting the weblink you provided.
Don't need to see it if the railing is too low for local code. If in a rural area not within a code requirement, have fun. Just keep everyone away from the edge of the porch.
--
Jonny

Sasquatch wrote:

We had a similar problem restoring an 1890 house in Houston. Old photos showed a very low rail which looked great. The 42" high guard railings required by current code look bad on historic homes. Bear in mind that this was a 1-story condition, not a balcony which could really be dangerous.
Under the Code, 42" guardrails are required when the dropoff exceeds 30", so we raised the grades around the porch to 29.5" and met the Code and installed 34" high railings. They look perfect!
Harry