Popping Windows

Hi All,

I have double-glazed white vinyl windows in the eastern wall of my bedroom that emit popping noises when the sun heats them up. The noise is sometimes loud enough to wake me in the morning and lasts over an hour. The window is a 5' by 5' fixed window with 3' by 5' double-hung windows on each side. Wall construction is 2x4 studs with OSB and stucco on lath.

The vinyl window frames are cheap builder's quality. I have a feeling that there is no solution to this problem, other than plant some trees or large shrubs to shade the windows. It would cost big $$ to replace the windows with better quality, especially since they are "locked in" by the stucco construction, and even then that may not solve the problem.

Assuming that the noise is caused by the glass expanding in the vinyl frame, I wonder if there is some type of lubricant like WD40 that I could put in the glazing channel. Maybe I'll just continue to use earplugs. Any ideas?

Thanx, Key Bored

Reply to
Key Bored

Just a thought here, put some of the stick-on sunshield (window tint)over the glass & see if that helps before you undertake a money problem. Dan

Reply to
Dan Deckert

Dont put anything outside on the glass or inside, your glass will likely crack from the absorbed heat. Many new warrantys specify this, I have seen it happen.

Reply to
m Ransley