plastic storage tanks and algae

My galvanized metal storage tank is starting to rust through. So far two spots have shown up which are weeping. about the size of a quarter. I am looking into the plastic storage tanks. My tank is 2880 gallons. I was looking at some of the tanks at a local hardware store and I can see some sunlight getting thru the walls. Not bright, but is definitely outside light. I was wondering if anybody knows if algae is a problem with these tanks? Also, is there any wet patch technique I can use on the metal tank until I can replace the tank? It is for potable water.
Put a plastic liner inside. They sell liners for old wooden tanks. If you are worried about sunlight...try painting the tank with a plastic paint.... I have my water storage tank inside a small building. (out of sight, out of mind) john

I wonder if dropping a couple of sterling silver spoons (or forks) in the tank may be useful?
For the intersted: www.nytimes.com/2005/12/21/health/21iht-snsilver.html) and of course Googling 'silver antiseptic' (without quotes) returns a lot of hits. However, I don't see anything on whether it would be effective against algae...
Many use Chlorox.... Small amount. All City Water has that in it.....swimming pools, etc. Although many like to use the light to treat the water:
Ultraviolet light for water purification. UV light is electromagnetic radiation with frequencies ranges that kill bacteria, viruses, and more .
I would love to have that system..... I keep my water in a large plastic 1800 gal. tank in a tank house room. The tank is black food grade plastic, and being in an enclosed are keeps real cool, and fairly aglae free....
john

There are some issues with using clorox, and as well most 'Clorox' or laundry bleaches are not safe for potable water supplies (they contain chemicals that are unsafe for consumption). If you must clorinate your water, use swimming pool chemicals, carefully, and at least you avoid the probalble health hazards of laundry product consumption!
However chlorine in drinking water does pose some health issues. In our town we chlorinate the town water, then use a system to remove as much as we can before distribution. However, part fo that may be based on the water's source, disolved minerals and chemicals, etc.

Good idea, but I don't think that will work on the whole tank! Be one hell of a UV setup! (I can see it now, 200 40w UV lamps ringed around the tank, turn 'em on and the entire house glows in the dark!)

I'd guess that any black food grade tank would stay reasonably clean even if not in a 'room'. Not much light will get through those walls.
I like the idea of protecting the tank with an enclouser, too. Plastic will degrade due to UV exposure if it is not protected.

Actually they do have a setup albeit expensive, that the water runs through with a light tube that the treated water then enters the storage. I do not use any chlorox or clorox....only to clean if necessary and then rinse well..... john

I've a system like that to make drinking water (so low volume). Works reasonably well, though I've not tested it to determine how much bad stuff it kills... <g>
I found that pool shock was really cheap compared to laundry products, but that's a preference. Stuff is nasty strong, however.